Skip to header Skip to Content Skip to Footer

VA Benefits

Types of VA Benefits

Using VA Educational Benefits at UNCW.

Using the Post-9/11 GI Bill at UNCW - Part I.

Using the Post-9/11 GI Bill at UNCW - Part II.

Using the Post-9/11 GI Bill at UNCW - Part III.

Using Veteran Readiness & Employment at UNCW

Using Dependents Education Assistance at UNCW.

What You Need to Know

To learn about your eligibility for any of the above benefits, visit the VA website or contact the VA. You may also work with the education office or transition coordinators at your/your sponsor's command for assistance with understanding your options.

The Office of Military Affairs does not represent the VA, nor are we able to assess eligibility for VA benefits.

All students who plan to use VA educational/vocational benefits at UNCW must apply for those benefits through the VA. This includes students who have successfully used their VA benefits at other schools. We recommend completing the application or transfer process before orientation.

  1. Apply/transfer VA benefits online at eBenefits. Click on the green button that says "Find your education benefits form" under the heading "How do I apply?" Then select and submit the appropriate application:
    1. Applying for a new benefit (students who have not used VA benefits before at any school OR who are changing the chapter of benefits)
    2. Updating my program of study or my place of training (students who used VA benefits at their previous school OR who are changing degree programs/starting a graduate degree or certificate program at UNCW after using VA benefits at UNCW as an undergraduate)
    3. Applying to extend my Post-9/11 or Fry Scholarship benefits using the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship
  2. Submit the New Military Student VA Benefits Form. This form acts as a placeholder while you wait for your Certificate of Eligibility to arrive. All new students must submit this form even if you have submitted your COE.
  3. Submit Certificate of Eligibility to Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter in the mail from the VA, approximately 4-6 weeks after submitting the application for VA Benefits online. If you do not receive your letter within this timeframe, contact the VA to confirm your application. Scan and email us your COE
  4. Check that your Certificate of Eligibility was received. Within 3-5 business days after submitting your COE, you may check that it was uploaded to your account by going to the “Student Services & Financial Aid” tab in Seanet and clicking “My Eligibility”. Next, select the appropriate program year and view the status of the requirement and the date it was satisfied under the “Student Requirements” tab.

Once you complete the steps listed above, you will not need to do them again for the remainder of your time at UNCW, unless you change the chapter of benefits you will be using.

Keep in mind that your "certifying your enrollment" means verifying that you are enrolled in classes for that term (not that you are enrolled as a student at UNCW). Your benefits will be processed after the end of the add/drop period of the first term in which you are enrolled.

The first time you use your VA benefits at UNCW, you may expect a delay of several weeks for the first payment due to processing times with the VA.

Once you have submitted your New Military Student VA Benefits Form and after you have registered for classes, the VA-Military Financial Aid Counselors will pull your course registration information and submit your enrollment certification to the VA.

  1. Shortly before the start of a class registration period, you will receive an email reminding you that the VA certification process is about to begin for the following term.
  2. You will be asked to respond to that email ONLY if you DO NOT want to use your benefits for the upcoming term; if you are changing your chapter of benefits (requires a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA for that chapter); or you no longer qualify for benefits.
  3. Once you have registered for classes, the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will begin the certification process by pulling your course registration information.
  4. You will receive an email from the VA once your class enrollment has been certified.

Students have up to the end of the registration period each term to make changes to their course schedules.

  • Fall or spring: First week of classes
  • Summer I or Summer II: First day of classes

If you make a change to your course schedule after your enrollment has been certified, email us with your name, 850-# (student identification number) and the course name and number that you have added or dropped from your schedule.

Full-time enrollment for regular undergraduate programs is as follows:

  • Fall semester: 12 credits minimum
  • Spring semester: 12 credits minimum
  • Summer I: 4 credits minimum
  • Summer II: 4 credits minimum

Enrollment rates for online accelerated programs and graduate programs may vary. Contact the VA-Military Financial Aid Counselors for assistance with determining your rate of enrollment and months of benefits usage.

Explore More About the Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays the following line items directly to the bill listed in the student's account:

  • Tuition up to the in-state rate
  • Mandatory fees
  • Campus security fee
  • Student health insurance fee (if not waived)

As long as your Certificate of Eligibility is on file (and, if you are a new student, you have completed the New Military Student VA Benefits Form), you do not need to pre-pay tuition and the fees listed above (unless your eligibility is less than 100%).

Residency/In-state tuition/Veteran's Choice Act/Yellow Ribbon

Program The Post-9/11 GI Bill covers UNCW tuition only up to the in-state rate. If you are not considered a resident of North Carolina for tuition purposes (according to the North Carolina Residency Determination Service), you will not be eligible for the in-state tuition rate.

However, you may be eligible to apply for the Veteran's Choice Act, which would waive the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. Review eligibility requirements and apply for the Veteran's Choice Act.

If you are not eligible for the Veteran's Choice Act, you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, which offers some additional funding for a limited number of qualified students (veterans and children of military members or veterans only) on a first come, first served basis.

If you have any questions, contact the VA-Military Financial Aid Counselors for help.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) at the end of a month in which you were enrolled in classes.

Students must verify their enrollment monthly with the VA to receive payment.

The MHA payment will be prorated for the number of days you were in classes that month.

Students must be enrolled at the full-time rate for their academic program to receive the full MHA to which they are entitled. Less than full-time enrollment will lead to a reduced MHA rate. Students must be enrolled at more than half-time to receive any MHA.

Taking only online courses means the student will receive 50% of the national MHA rate (up to the percentage to which they are entitled).

The MHA payment is deposited directly to the personal bank account listed in eBenefits (you may update your direct deposit information by signing in to eBenefits).

If you plan to live on campus while using the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you will need to pay any on-campus housing fees and meal plan fees by the billing date, because the MHA is not paid directly to the school.

Contact the VA-Military Financial Aid Counselors with questions about your enrollment and MHA.

Book Stipend

The Book Stipend pays up to $1,000 per year. The amount per payment is pro-rated per the amount of enrolled hours, so you may receive different amounts in different terms. The Book Stipend is paid directly to the personal bank account listed in eBenefits.

Please note that the following costs are not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill:

  • UNCW Application Fee
  • Enrollment Fee
  • Orientation Fee
  • UNCW ID Card Fee (OneCard)
  • Parking Permit Fee

Students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and scholarship applications to assist with the cost of attendance.

Students may also enroll in the Military Student Payment Plan, which divides the bill into 3 payments over the course of the semester; students may enroll in this plan through their eBill once it is available for the coming term.

Additional student aid or scholarships beyond the Post-9/11 GI Bill will not be paid toward the items that are covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Can I Use My Sponsor's Post-9/11 GI Bill?

If your parent or spouse is still serving on active duty, they may apply through milConnect to have the benefit transferred to you. It is a one-time process and after the transfer is completed, you must complete the steps above to apply for the benefit and receive the Certificate of Eligibility.

Please note that the Montgomery GI Bill cannot be transferred to military dependents, and the Post-9/11 GI Bill must be transferred while the service member is still on active duty.

Students who are interested in using VR&E at UNCW must apply through the VA. After your application to use VR&E is approved by the VA, you will be assigned a VR&E counselor, who will submit your eligibility paperwork to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at UNCW.

The VR& benefit encompasses tuition, fees, a monthly housing allowance and textbook/course materials purchases at the UNCW Bookstore.

  • You must submit the New Military Student VA Benefits Form.
  • Students using VR&E are eligible for the Veteran's Choice Act, which provides a waiver for the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.
  • Once your VR&E eligibility information has been received by the VA Certifying Officials, they will notify the Office of the Registrar (for undergraduate students) or the Graduate School to have the Veteran's Choice Act waiver applied to your account if necessary.
  • You must waive the student health insurance plan each semester, because this charge will not be covered by your VR&E benefit.
  • Verify that your bookstore purchase order information is on file with the Third Party Billing Office before making a purchase at the bookstore; email us or call 910.962.3147.
  • Contact the UNCW Bookstore for assistance with textbook purchases.

Contact the VA-Military Financial Aid Counselors with questions about how your VR&E program will work at UNCW.

This benefit offers a monthly stipend. Find payment rates for Chapter 35 and the Fry scholarship. Students using Chapter 35 benefits will become eligible as of Fall 2022 to apply for the Veteran's Choice Act for access to a waiver of the difference in rates between in-state and out-of-state tuition.

Students who wish to use one of these benefits must complete the steps to apply or transfer the benefit. Contact the VA-Military Financial Aid Counselors questions about how your DEA benefit will work at UNCW.