Skip to header Skip to Content Skip to Footer


Types of Accommodations

The DRC offers a wide range of academic accommodations that are individualized and based upon your documented disability.  Once documentation has been approved, you will meet with a DRC staff member to determine your accommodations.  This remains a collaborative process throughout your time at UNCW.  

It is important to understand accommodations are not retroactive and only begin once you notify faculty by providing the designated accommodation letter. You are advised to meet with faculty to discuss implementation of accommodations.  

Though not an exhaustive list, the following are some of the accommodations available to students when appropriate:

  • Alternative Format
  • Assistive Technology
  • Audio Record Lectures
  • FM Systems
  • Interpreting Services
  • Testing Accommodations

In addition to submitting the Housing Request Form, you must register with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) to request ADA housing accommodations.  

  1. Enroll with the DRC and submit both verification of disability and a Housing Request Form.
  2. Review the Housing Request Procedures.
  3. Participate in enrollment meeting and housing interview with DRC staff.

Requests for housing accommodations need to be submitted to the DRC each academic year or summer session. Appropriate documentation must be on file for consideration of each request. Accommodations for disability-related reasons take priority over other considerations (e.g., preference for specific residential area or roommate request). We do not take requests for assignments to specific locations or for specific people.

If the housing accommodation request is granted and has been submitted by the published deadline, students will be eligible to receive their requested accommodations from the room options provided by Housing & Residence Life.  

(Requests submitted after the deadline are subject to availability)

  • Returning Students:
    • Submit your housing application in January for the next academic year and submit the housing request form by February 1st to ensure it is reviewed prior to housing assignments being completed.
    • Your enrollment with the DRC must also be completed.
  • Incoming Freshmen & Transfer Students:
    • Submit the request by April 1st to ensure it is processed prior to housing assignments in May.
    • You must also submit the pre-enrollment registration form and appropriate disability documentation to begin enrollment with the DRC.

Students seeking approval to bring an Emotional Support Animal to reside in campus housing as a reasonable accommodation must:

  1. Enroll with the DRC and submit both verification of disability and an ESA Verification form.
  2. Review the Emotional Support Animal Verification Procedures.
  3. Participate in enrollment meeting and ESA interview with DRC staff.

The University generally does not approve exotic animals, reptiles, amphibians, or other animals that carry zoonotic diseases.

CAUTION: UNCW is concerned about the growing number of questionable website services that create ESA letters for a fee to the purchaser.  These websites are generally unreliable sources and do not produce documentation that adequately supports an ESA request.

If a student has special dietary needs or restrictions, Campus Dining can accommodate the student to make sure they get the most out of their meal plan. For any dietary and/or nutritional concerns, please contact the Campus Dietician, Chelsea Stant at or 910.962.7621.

Contact Us

Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Test Proctoring
Monday - Thursday  8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM