UNCW Campus-Community Awareness: Hurricane Season Begins June 1

Friday, May 30, 2014

The 2014 Hurricane Season officially begins June 1 and will last through November 30. As North Carolina's coastal university, UNCW has well-prepared hurricane procedures in place and has been recognized by the National Weather Service as a Storm-Ready University.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts storm activity will be "near-normal or below normal" for the 2014 hurricane season. The outlook calls for a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season.

"Predictions are useful reminders of the need to prepare for hurricane season. It only takes one storm to create impacts on university operations and our community," said Eric Griffin, emergency management coordinator with the UNCW Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Department.

Griffin and his EH&S colleagues collaborate with the Wilmington office of the National Weather Service to closely monitor Atlantic Ocean storms and their potential impact on campus. Modern storm tracking services offer the university useful information for planning and preparation several days in advance.

In the event of potential impact, the Office of University Relations and EH&S work together to keep the campus community informed of delays, closings and other weather-related information.

Communication Tools

  • UNCW home page
  • UNCW Alert web page
  • UNCW Facebook
  • UNCW Twitter
  • Seahawk Siren Warning System
  • Campus entrance marquee
  • Emergency Information Hotline: 910-962-3991
  • CHWK Channel (on campus) messages
  • Local media outlets
  • UNCW Alert mass emails, phone calls and/or text messages for faculty, staff and students.
  • To receive UNCW Alert messages, log onto mySeaport. Scroll down left side navigation and click Register to Receive UNCW Emergency Texts. Provide/update personal information. Click Submit.

Weather-Related Resources