Skip to header Skip to Content Skip to Footer



First, declare the Pre-CRW major with the help of your first academic advisor. You will then be assigned to the Department of Creative Writing, and your advisor will become Tim Bass, the coordinator of the Bachelor of Fine Arts Program.

As a transfer student to our program, you were admitted as Pre-CRW major.

Use the waitlist system provided through My SeaPort/SeaNet. The Department of Creative Writing does not permit students to take closed classes.

No. Use the wait list system provided through My SeaPort/SeaNet. It is the proper and most efficient way of trying to get into a closed class.

Yes. Tim Bass will advise you for CRW courses.

Yes. All CRW and Pre-CRW majors are required to attend an advising session each semester.

Likely, the advisor in your primary major-the first department you listed when you declared the double major.

The senior seminar is CRW 496, the capstone course for undergraduate students in the Department of Creative Writing. Students take CRW 496 in their final semester of college-after they have completed the advanced (400-level) course in their writing genre.

The course focuses on your graduation thesis, a public reading of your work, professional standards for writers, and career planning. CRW 496 is not a writing workshop. The course carries 6 credit hours.

No. You must complete the advanced workshop first. Take the senior seminar in your final semester of college.



Forms courses track the development of literature in specific writing genres-fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction.

To earn the BFA degree, you must take a forms course in one of the genres: CRW 302: Forms of Creative Nonfiction, CRW 303: Forms of Poetry, or CRW 306: Forms of Fiction. CRW 304: Forms of the Narrative also counts toward the degree; it is suitable for writers of fiction or creative nonfiction.

No. CRW 203 counts toward the BFA degree, but you must also take a forms course at the 300 level: CRW 302 (nonfiction), CRW 303 (poetry), CRW 304 (forms of dramatic writing), or 306 (fiction). Choose the forms course in your writing genre (CRW 306 for fiction writers, etc.).

No. The Department of Creative Writing and the Film Studies Department offer two courses in screenwriting. You may take them as writing electives for the BFA degree, but we do not offer a degree in screenwriting.

No. The Department of Creative Writing and the Theatre Department offer one course in playwriting. You may take it as a writing elective for the BFA degree, but we do not offer a degree in playwriting.

Yes. You must take at least 15 credit hours of literature courses. At least 6 of these hours must be at the 300 level or higher.

Literature courses are generally available through the English Department, though the Department of Creative Writing offers courses that help meet the literature requirement: CRW 203, CRW 305, and CRW 315.

Yes. CRW majors must take at least one course in literature before 1800. The most logical courses to take are ENG 211 (early British literature), ENG 223 (early American literature), or ENG 332 or 333 (both are Shakespeare courses).

The certificate program offers training in book-building, publishing, layout/design of books, and editing. This is a hands-on curriculum offered through the Publishing Laboratory (second floor of Kenan Hall). The certificate program requires a minimum of 12 hours from these publishing courses:

  • CRW 321: Books and Publishing (offer Fall semester only),
  • CRW 322: Editing for Publication,
  • CRW 323: Bookbuilding,
  • CRW 324: Special Topics in Publishing (when offered),
  • CRW 461: The Publishing Practicum.

There is an application process for the Publishing Certificate. Note: All of these courses count toward the BFA degree, and CRW 322 is required of all creative writing majors.

No. The certificate is optional.


You may do this yourself through My SeaPort. See the instructions for Curricular Updates.

You may do this yourself through My SeaPort. See the instructions for Curricular Updates.