Housing & Residence Life

One-Year Transfer Residency Requirement

students in residence hall

Academic and student success comes first at UNC Wilmington. We know, through many decades of research, that students who reside and eat on-campus make a smoother transition to University life, develop strong friendships, achieve higher grade point averages, and persist to graduation at higher rates. UNC Wilmington has implemented a One-Year Residency Requirement for Transfer students enrolling in the fall with less than 60 transferable credit hours.

Transfer Students Included in The Policy

Any main campus transfer student enrolling at UNC Wilmington for the fall semester who has received less than 60 transferable credits before their enrollment at UNCW.  If space is available, transfer students with more than 60 credit hours are invited, but not required to live on campus.

Transfer students enrolling in an Extension or Online Accelerated program are exempt from this requirement. Transfer students beginning UNCW in the Summer or Spring semesters are invited, but not required to live on campus.

EARLY COLLEGE STUDENTS are considered NEW students - please click here to review your residency requirement.


Transfer Student Exceptions


Students will receive an automatic waiver for the One-Year Residency requirement if they meet one of the following exceptions:

  • Automatically Waived:
    1. Students who are over the age of 21 by the 1st day of class.
    2. Students who have active duty service in the United States Military.
    3. Students who live in New Hanover, Pender, or Brunswick counties and attend Cape Fear or Brunswick Community College.

Students may request a written appeal of the One-Year Residency requirement if they meet one or more of the following exceptions:

  • Submit Written Appeal (See instructions below):
    1. Students who have legal dependents.
    2. Students who are legally married.
    3. Students with disabilities for whom off-campus housing options are necessary for maintaining reasonable health and general safety. 

Those requests with supporting documentation should be made directly to the Disability Resource Center; for more information call 910-962-7555 or www.uncw.edu/disability.

UNCW Housing and Residence Life may make additional exceptions should occupancy considerations warrant and request verification documents for any of the above exceptions.

Waiver of the One-Year Transfer Residency Requirement

If a student feels they meet one or more of the exceptions listed above and wish to have the One-Year Residency Requirement for on-campus housing and meal plan waived, they should follow the below instructions for a written appeal.

  • Fall under one or more of the exemption categories listed above.
  • File a formal request for a residency waiver.
  • Provide requisite information and documentation in support of the request.