Geographic Information Sciences


Students from across UNCW's undergraduate and graduate programs enroll in GISci courses offered in the Dept. of Earth and Ocean Sciences. The curriculum is organized as follows:

MS in Geoscience: Geospatial Science
The Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences offers the MS in Geoscience which includes three tracks: geospatial science, geology, and Earth Processes and Global Change. You can read about the program in the UNCW Graduate Catalog and please visit the EOS website.

Graduate Certifcate in Geographic Information Science:
Students who have received an undergraduate degree (BA or BS) can enroll in the GISci certificate! Many students pursue the GIS certificate program while also pursuing a Masters program. To apply to the certificate program, see the instructions on the UNCW graduate school website.

To learn more about the requirements of the certificate program, check out the graduate catalog. UNCW offers several GISci courses at the graduate level that count as electives in several programs such as Marine Science, Geology, Masters in Public Administration, and Biology/Marine Biology.

To find out when the courses are offered, visit the SeaNet webpage and search the "detailed class schedule".

B.A. in Applied Geography:
Students who are interested in earning a B.A. in geography can choose from three options: human, physical and applied. To learn more about these options check out the undergraduate catalog BA in Geography (page 150) and the course descriptions (page 283).

Minor in Geospatial Technologies:
Many students who major in Geography, Environmental Studies, Geology, and many others also enroll in the geospatial technologies minor. To see the requirements for the minor, please read the catalog.

Geography Internship Program:

The Geography Internship Program, directed by Dr. Hines, encourages qualified graduate and undergraduate students to participate in the program. There are many local government, private, and non-profit organizations who hire our students so contact Dr. Hines for more information.