Financial Aid

Non-Degree: Graduate Certification, Teacher Certification and Licensure Students

In order to be eligible for federal student aid, students must:

  • Be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking,
  • a Teacher Certification Program,
  • or enrolled as a Graduate Certification Student, taking classes required for admissions to a graduate program at UNCW.

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to receive federal loan offers. Entrance counseling and Master Promissory Note completion is done at

Graduate and professional degree students may be eligible to receive aid from the following federal student aid programs:

  • Unsubsidized Loans-- Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500 per school year. Graduate and professional students enrolled in certain health profession programs may receive additional Unsubsidized Loan amounts each academic year.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans-- Eligible graduate and professional degree students who need to borrow more than the maximum unsubsidized loan amounts to meet their education costs may apply for a PLUS loan. A credit check will be performed during the application process at

Teacher Certification students are eligible for federal unsubsidized and/or subsidized student loans. Students enrolled in teacher certification programs must submit the Teacher Certification Form in addition to the FAFSA.

Graduate Certification students who are taking pre-requisite course in order to apply to or be admitted into a graduate program can receive federal unsubsidized and/or subsidized student loans with completion of the FAFSA and Graduate Certification Form.

Licensure students are not eligible for federal or institutional aid at UNCW.  Apply for a private/non-federal loan online