CHHS Welcomes New Coordinator for Center for Healthy Communities

CHHS welcomes Leah Mayo, the new coordinator for the Center for Heathy Communities.

In this role, Leah will coordinate and facilitate the projects and initiatives of the Southeastern North Carolina Regional Health Collaborative (SENCRHC) and the North Carolina Public Health Training Center (NCPHTC).

“Being selected for this position is a milestone in my career,” Leah said. “I see it as an opportunity for me to expand my knowledge and reach within public health, as well as grow professionally and personally. Additionally, it is an honor to work for the institution where my passion and exposure to public health began.”

Previously, Leah was the region 9 active routes to school coordinator for Albemarle Regional Health Services in Pasquotank County. She worked with 15 northeastern counties to increase physical activity for elementary and middle school aged kids through policy, systems, and environmental-level improvements.

Leah was born and raised in Wilson, North Carolina. She graduated from UNCW in 2010 with a Bachelor of Science in Community Health Education and minor in chemistry. Her exposure to public health classes inspired her career path.

Leah went on to complete a Master of Public Health at East Carolina University, where she was able to apply and build upon the skills she had learned at UNCW.

“From a young age, I always knew I wanted to help people but was unsure in what capacity,” Leah said. “Public health is the perfect fit for me, because it allows me to help people yet mobilize communities to help themselves.”

In her spare time, Leah seeks out new restaurants and cooking recipes. Having grew up in the restaurant business, she has a love for food. When she is not seeking out her next meal, she can be found outdoors and/or relaxing on the beach.

“The best way to start the day is a good workout, balanced breakfast and a trip to the beach (if only there was time for the beach before work).”