Non-Degree Seeking Admission - Overview

UNCW offers students the opportunity to enroll in classes for credit as non-degree seeking students. Depending on your situation and educational goals, one of the three options may be appropriate. If you feel none of these categories fit your circumstances, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Special Undergraduate

Students who have graduated from a four-year accredited college or university and wish to take undergraduate classes, but do not want to earn a second degree, are classified as special undergraduates. This application option is also available for students who need to take classes toward completion of teacher certification or licensure requirements.

Please visit our webpage here for information on deadlines and applying as a Special Undergraduate.

Please note - If you would like to earn a second degree, you must apply as a transfer student.

Permission (Fall and Spring ONLY)

Students currently enrolled in another college or university, who intend to return to their home institution, may attend UNCW as permission (visiting) student in the fall or spring semester. A student may only attend as a permission student for two consecutive semesters (not including summer sessions). 

Please visit our webpage here for information on deadlines and applying as a Permission (Fall and Spring) student .

Summer Visiting (Summer School ONLY)

Summer visiting students (those currently enrolled at another institution) may enroll in classes at UNCW for Summer School only.

How to Apply

  • You can apply online through the UNCW application portal.  If you do not already have an account, you will be required to create one before applying.
  • Submit a transient study form OR an unofficial transcript from the current or most recent institution you have attended
    *The transient study form can also be substituted for a course approval form, or written permission from your Academic Advisor that the course you intend to take at UNCW will transfer to your home institution.*


  • Summer Session 1 - April 28 
  • Summer Session 2 - June 9

Academic Advising & Course Registration

Academic advising is not available for summer visiting students. If the course you wish to enroll in has pre-requisites, it is the student's responsibility to work with the Department to obtain the necessary override to enroll in the course.

Upon admission to UNCW as a Permission student, students may then register for classes by accessing SeaNet. If you have questions about registration, please contact the Office of the Registrar at For general Summer School questions, please contact If you have questions about participating in the Horatio Alger E-Business Course on Entrepreneurship or the Horatio Alger Personal Finance courses please find more information here or contact

If you wish to continue your enrollment from Summer School into the fall or spring semesters, you will need to apply as a Permission student (see above).