International Admission: Transfer Requirements

Transfer students will be reviewed on the basis of their academic record at all institutions attended. There is no minimum for credit hours earned; however, a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a U.S. scale of 4.0 is required.
The length of time necessary to achieve your educational goals at UNCW will depend on the type of degree program and the number of credits awarded from previous institutions.
  1. Submitted Online Application

    • Deadlines: 
      • Fall (August): April 1
      • Spring (January): October 15
  2. Non-refundable $80 application fee

  3. Official Transcript

    • Secondary school records are required for all applicants; transcripts must be official and translated into English. Applicants must also submit transcripts from each U.S. college or university attended.

    • Credit for coursework completed at post-secondary institutions around the world may be eligible for transfer to UNCW. Applicants are required to have an official evaluation completed by one of the companies belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Institute of Foreign Credential Services. The transcript evaluation assists us in understanding your coursework and allows us to determine admissibility.

  4. Credit Evaluations

    • Evaluations must include:

      • grade(s)
      • courses
      • U.S. credit equivalencies

      Therefore, applicants need to request a course-by-course evaluation.

      Inquire with the evaluation service you choose as to the length of time it will take to receive a transcript evaluation. It commonly takes about one week to complete the evaluation after the service receives your official document(s). Obtaining official document(s) to be submitted to the evaluation company can take an extraordinary amount of time, depending on the country. Therefore, applicants should begin the process early.

      In addition, providing detailed course descriptions along with the evaluation greatly increases our ability to accurately award credit. Without course descriptions, elective credit ONLY will be awarded. Once a student has been admitted and paid the $100 enrollment deposit, an official transfer credit evaluation will be completed by the Office of the Registrar.

      For questions regarding transfer of credit, please contact Sandy Drew in the UNCW Office of the Registrar.

    • Exceptions from Credit Evaluation
      • Some applicants may be exempt from completing an evaluation if we have extensive knowledge of your institution's grading and credit policies, although in most cases, a transcript evaluation is necessary.
      • Even if exempt, an applicant is still required to submit official, translated transcripts from all foreign institutions attended.
  5. Proof of English Proficiency