Student Types


Students currently enrolled in high school, or have graduated from high school without taking any college-level courses since their high school graduation date. Early College high school students are also considered for First-Year admission.


Students who are or were attending another community college or university, or have obtained a 2-year or 4-year degree from another university, and seek to obtain a new degree from UNCW. Any student who takes a college-level class after graduation from high school is precluded from first-year admission and must meet transfer requirements.


Students who are not U.S. citizens nor permanent resident aliens (green card holders) are considered international. Students who hold dual citizenship should apply as a U.S. student and submit a copy of their passport. If students have taken any courses beyond secondary school, either at a U.S. or foreign institution, they should apply as an international transfer student.

Graduate School

Students who have obtained a 4-year degree and are interested in pursing a Master's or Ph.D. program. Note that the Office of Admissions is responsible for only undergraduate admission; the Graduate School is responsible for admission to all master's and doctoral programs.


Active-duty personnel or veterans seeking to use their GI Bill or other military benefits. Since admission is based on the length and type of service and possible advanced credit, this group is extremely unique and handled on a case-by-case basis to better serve those who have served for the greater good.


Students who have previously been enrolled and taken classes at UNCW, regardless of the amount of time since they have last attended. This does not include students who were visiting summer school students.

Non-Degree Seeking

Students who wish to take classes at UNCW without obtaining a degree. This includes permission students visiting from another institution in the fall or spring semesters, as well as special undergraduate students who have already obtained a 4-year degree and are taking courses to meet pre-requisite requirements for other programs, graduate studies, teacher licensure, and/or their own educational advancement.


Current high school students (juniors and seniors) interested in taking college-level classes at UNCW for any term.

Summer School

Students visiting from another institution in either session of Summer School.