Submitting Content to the CHWK
Any UNCW student, facutly, or staff member can submit content to the CHWK channe. For convience and to meet the diverse needs of our departments and organizations, we have provided a variety of avenues you can use to submit content.
Note from the General Manager: Please submit your information to us as far in advance of your event as possible. Bulletins submitted "the day before" will not see enough airtime to be an effective advertisement. We will take submissions up to the day before but strongly recommend submitting your message at least 10 days prior so your bulletin has enough airtime to be effective.
Option 1: Enter The Info Yourself
Users can log into the CHWK broadcast server with any web browser and directly enter their. The slide will then appear in the broadcast automatically. This option is great for our power users and any user or group that will frequently submit content as it effecitvely eliminates the middle man.
- Email email@example.com and request that an account be created for you.
- Complete a training workshop. Before you can use the system you must complete a short workshop to ensure you know how to properly create bulletins and post content as well as understand policies and pratices surrounding the system. This will be arranged when you submit your request for an account.
- Log into the chwk.uncw.edu site. Once logged choose the Carousel module
- Create your bulletin! Add your own text, images, animations and video to any of the several dozen templates we have created to make a custom looking bulletin for your promotions.
- If you get stuck: Students in the he UNCW Masters of Instructional Technology program created a short online training module for this system. If you get stuck, watch this quick tutorial.
Option 2: Email Us Your Info
Not all of our contributors are power users, for many it's simply easier to email someone your info and have us create a slide for you. We have students working at the CHWK standing by to take your content and apply their creative skills to it. Please use the guidelines below to assist you in submitting content.
- Email your info to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use a short, to the point, "newspaper" style headline.
- Keep your info brief and to the point. Slides are displayed for 15 seconds, viewers won't have enough time to view wordy slides. Additionally, the more wordy the slide, the smaller the font that has to be used and the more difficult the slide is to read
- Be sure to include contact info. If you expect to be contacted include valid contact information.
Give the gift of life!
Free pizza and soft drinks for donars
Friday from 10am to Noon
Sponsored by the UNCW Health Club
For more information contact 962-3000
Graphical submissions (in addition to the guidelines for text submissions):
- Email your graphic info to email@example.com.
- Submit your info in Power Point. Power Point is almost identical in function to the software and systems used on the CHWK. It is an easy way to create an effective graphic for your promotions and is available on my computers at UNCW.
- Use font sizes 22 and larger. Smaller font sizes will not be easily readable on television screens.
- Observe the safe title area. DO NOT place text or images in the outer 20% edge of the slide. Televisions don't display the whole broadcast and each one is different - a phenomenon called overscan. They may display as little as 80% of the actual signal, meaning you need to stay away from the outer most 20% of the screen or the word may be cut off by the viewers television.
- Observe "Legal" broadcast standards. DO NOT use pure white or pure black as your background color. Instead of using white use a 10% grey, it will still look white to the broadcast viewer and be much closer to the maximum legal limit. Along the same lines, don't use pure black, there is a 7% threshold for black, instead use a 90% grey. Note: these limits are set by the FCC and we are liable for fines or damages if we do not comply.
- Watch out for Moire. Avoid using small textures, they will cause an interference pattern.
- Example of a good bulletin:
- Email us an MP3. Simply email an mp3 file to the firstname.lastname@example.org. The mp3 must be smaller than 5MB.
- Contact email@example.com to make arrangements for submission or delivery. VIDEO CANNOT BE EMAILED!
- Make the video yourself. Create, shoot, and edit the video yourself using software such as iMovie of Final Cut then export it to an MPEG 2 file. Or convert your existing DVD's, tapes, etc to MPEG-2 using software designed for the task. UNCW Department of Media Production has licensed an easy to use, FREE Windows software program to convert your UNENCRYPTED DVD's to the proper format. The program is available by request, we'll reply to it with the program attached.
- Pay us to transcode your video. We can transcode or capture the video to the appropriate codec for you using high quality editing software. There will be a cost recovery fee. Contact us to make arrangements.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements for a video production.
- This isn't free, sorry. While the CHWK television outlet is free to all students, faculty, and staff to display their content the services of media production (meaning shooting or editing a video) are not subsidized by the University and are billed on a cost recovery basis. This fee goes toward operating expenses such equipment, tapes, hard drives, etc, that are not covered by budget monies. The equipment purchased as a result helps to maintain a quality facility UNCW students can be trained in.