seahawk in front of Hoggard Hall

Travel News

Change in Mileage Rate for Personal Vehicle

The Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) has modified the personal vehicle mileage reimbursement rates, based on IRS business rates, effective January 1, 2017.  For round trips per day that do not exceed 100 miles, individuals may be reimbursed up to the current IRS business rate of 53.5 cents per mile (decreased from 54.5 cents in 2016).  For round trips  exceeding 100 miles per day the first 100 will be reimbursed  up to  53.5 cents per mile and the addtional mileage will be reimbursed at .17 cents per mile.  If you have any questions please contact Laura Gore, Disbursements Manager.


Per the NC Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) for travel beginning December 1, 2016, personal mileage will be reimbursed as follows: 

“It is the intent of the State that state employee travel shall be conducted in the most efficient manner and at the lowest and most reasonable cost to the state. With regard to passenger vehicle travel, whether in or out of state, agency travel policies shall:

  • Maximize utilization of state owned vehicles 
  • Make use of State term contracts for short term rentals (State Term Contract 975B Vehicle Rental Services), and
  • Reimburse for use of personal vehicles on a limited basis.

If a state employee chooses to use a personal vehicle, actual mileage is reimbursable. Mileage is measured from the closer of duty station or point of departure to destination (and return). A state employee shall be reimbursed the business standard mileage rate set by the Internal Revenue Service (54 cents per mile effective January 1, 2016) when using their personal vehicle for state business when the round trip does not exceed 100 miles per day of travel. However, if a state employee chooses to use a personal vehicle when the round trip exceeds 100 miles per day of travel, all departments and agencies will reimburse the employee at the business standard mileage rate set by the Internal Revenue Service for 100 miles per day with any additional miles over 100 miles per day of travel reimbursed at the medical or moving purposes rate set by the Internal Revenue Service (19 cents per mile effective January 1, 2016).  OSBM will not consider exceptions to this policy."

To clarify:  If the trip is longer than one day, the mileage is based on an average per day over the entire trip. 

Example 1:  If an employee uses his personal car to travel 150 miles to a conference on Monday and returns on Thursday, the per day average is 75 miles (300 miles/4 days).  Since the per day limit is 100 miles and the average per day for this trip is 75 miles, the employee will be reimbursed .54 for 300 miles (75 miles for 4 days) or $162. 

Example 2:  If an employee uses his personal car to travel 225 miles to a conference on Monday and returns on Thursday, the per day average is 112.50 (450 miles/4 days).  Since the per day limit is 100 miles, he will reimbursed .54 for 400 miles (100 miles max per day for 4 days) or $216 and .19 for the remaining 50 miles (12.50 miles per day for 4 days) or $9.50.  Total reimbursement $225.50. 

Please refer to the following FAQ's for additional information:  FAQ's - Personal Mileage December 2016 (PDF) For further questions or clarification, please contact Laura Gore, Disbursements Manager, at or 962-3076.

Change in Third Party Lodging

There has been a change in Third Party Lodging. OSBM now considers all campgrounds and campsites including National and State Parks as Third Party Lodging, regardless if under the state rate. Airbnb is also considered Third Party Lodging by OSBM. Third Party Lodging refers to establishments that are being rented out by a third party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law. Third Party Lodging Requests must be submitted and approved before the trip begins. If submitted after the fact, there is a risk that the Third Party Lodging Request would not be approved by OSBM, therefore we would not be able to reimburse for that lodging.

Local Hotels - New Process

Beginning January 11, 2016 the Travel Office implemented a new process for local hotel expenses for our out of town guests!

In the past departments entered Purchase Orders in uShop when making reservations for local hotel rooms and pay for the room via check request to the hotel or reimbursement to the traveler. Now the Travel Office will give approval to the hotel directly to charge the room and tax on an assigned credit card. All the dept needs to do is contact the hotel to make the arrangements, complete a Paper Travel Authorization form, have the Budget Authority sign and submit it to the Travel Office. The traveler does not need to sign the travel authorization for the lodging!

For your convenience we have created a new page called Local Hotels on the main page of the Travel website. Here you will find a listing of the hotels participating in this new program. This web page includes contact information, pricing and amenities for each hotel in our area.

Below are the steps for the Local Hotel procedure:

  • Department contacts hotel to make arrangements for guest staying at hotel
  • Department completes the following sections on the Paper Travel Authorization form for the lodging:
    • Travelers information (top half of the form)
    • Hotel Name
    • Total Cost for room and tax (upgrades, internet and other amenities are not allowed as with all lodging)
    • Dates of reservation
    • Fund and Account
    • Budget Authority Signature
  • Department brings the Paper Travel Authorization Form to Sandy Gladden in the Travel Office or e-mail it to her at (gladdens)
  • Sandy reviews the form and then provides the hotel with the authorization for payment. Only room rate and tax are included
  • When the guest checks out of the hotel, the portfolio/receipt will be e-mailed to the Travel Office.

For any questions please contact Laura Gore at or Sandy Gladden at

If you have any specific questions regarding these changes, please contact the Disbursements Manager, Laura Gore, at ext. 23076

Travel Rate Change Effective July 1, 2015

Per the Office of State Budget and Management maximum reimbursable subsistence payments for state employees' in-state and out-of-state travel have been revised effective July 1, 2015

The following list details the new rates of subsistence per day for travel related expenses.

In State Out Of State

Register Now for Travel Cardholder and Travel Card Admin Training!

To learn about your responsibilities as a Travel Card Admin, you can sign up for one of the Travel Card Admin classes offered by the Travel Office. Or, if you are a Travel Cardholder, you can sign up for a class on how to use the Travel Card and what it can be used to purchase. All Card Holders and Card Admins must attend Travel Card Training before the card will be issued to the Card Holder.

To register for the Card Holder and Card Admin training session, please follow instructions found here. This link will bring you to the Finance Training registration site.

Classes for Travel Card Admin Training are offered:

Jan 24th 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Feb 14th 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
March 16th 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
April 25th 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
May 15th 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
June 15th 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Classes for Travel Cardholder training are offered:

Jan 10th 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Feb 2nd  1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
March 1st 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
April 11th 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
May 8th 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
June 6th 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

Compare Enterprise Rental Car Cost VS. Personal Vehicle Mileage Cost

Enterprise has provided a mileage calculator to determine when it is best for your budget to rent a car or use a personal vehicle. Click the link below to compare your next trip.

Enterprise Mileage Calculator

Visa Travel Card Deadlines for 2016



Cycle Date Modification Cut Off Date Statements & Receipts Due to Travel Office
July 2016 06/16-07/15 07/21/16 08/01/16
August 2016 07/16-08/15 08/22/16 08/30/16
September 2016 08/16-09/15 09/21/16 09/29/16
October 2016 09/16-10/15 10/21/16 10/28/16
November 2016 10/16-11/15 11/21/16 11/30/16
December 2016 11/16-12/15 12/21/16 01/04/17
January 2017 12/16-01/15 01/23/17 01/30/16
February 2017 01/16-02/15 02/21/17 02/28/17

March 2017

02/16-03/15 03/21/17 03/30/17
April 2017 03/16-04/15 04/21/17 05/01/17
May 2017 04/16-05/15 05/22/17 05/31/17
June 2017 05/16-06/15 06/21/17 06/27/17


End of Fiscal Year


06/16-06/22 06/23/17 06/28/17

UNCW and Enterprise Join together to offer UNCW Employees a Direct Bill for Reserving Vehicles with Enterprise

Enterprise joins UNCW to provide car rentals for UNCW employee travel. It's easy!

  • To reserve a car for UNCW travel, use the E-Travel Pre-Paid Rental Car section Enterprise booking tool..
  • Drop off and pick up sites on campus. See the campus map.

Eaton Plaza- in front of James Hall

Lot behind Cameron Hall

Lot F - in Front of DePaolo Hall

Small Lot beside Education Building

Lot S - Accross Price Dr from the Student Rec Center

Small Lot behind Warwick Center

Lot Q Westside of Cultural Arts Bldg

  • To return a car, call Enterprise and tell them you are back and the car is ready to be picked up.
  • No out of pocket expenses. The expense of the car will be charged directly to UNCW
  • For complete procedures please visit the Travel Office Website under Employee Rental Car.

The cost to rent the cars is listed below. Additional cars/prices available on our rental car page.


Daily Rate





Full Size


Midsize Hybrid


12-Passenger Van


Small/Medium SUV