Conflict of Interest (COI)
Report of Potential Conflict of Interest Activities & Relationships
All faculty and EPA professional employees can now complete their Annual Conflict of Interest Disclosures through an online disclosure management system called "AIR" to report their Activities, Interests and Relationships. The AIR system can be reached at https://uncw.myresearchonline.org/air/index.cfm.
Annual disclosure is stipulated by University Policy and remains a condition of employment for all Faculty and EPA staff.
The federal regulation governing financial conflict of interest in research has changed. In August, 2011, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issued the final rule that amends the Public Health Service (PHS) regulations on Responsibility of Applicants for Promoting Objectivity in Research for Which PHS Funding is Sought (45 C.F.R. Part 50) and Responsible Prospective Contractors (45 C.F.R. Part 94).Institutions are required to comply with this regulation no later than August 24, 2012.
The major changes of the new regulation include:Requirement for researchers to disclose all financial interests related to their institutional responsibilities (teaching, research, professional practice, etc.)
- Obligation for institution to determine which interests are related to an investigator's research
- Reduction in the dollar threshold of what can create a financial conflict of interest (from $10,000/year to $5,000/year)
- Requirement for researchers to disclose income from private non-profit organizations
- Requirement for researchers to disclose reimbursed/sponsored travel except travel sponsored by universities, government agencies, or academic medical centers
- Mandatory training on financial conflict of interest
- Requirement for institution to make financial conflict of interest information accessible to the public
- Institutional monitoring of researchers' compliance with management plans
- Prescriptive action for non-compliance
- Expanded requirements for institutions to report financial conflicts of interest to PHS funding agencies
Accordingly, the UNCW policy on conflict of interest in research has been revised and will be implemented August 24, 2012. The policy applies to all full-time and part-time faculty and EPA non-faculty employees insofar as their university responsibilities are concerned. In addition, there are new specific requirements for PHS applicants including additional training and reporting requirements.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions page on the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website for more information.
COI Contact Information:
COI Coordinator: Leanne Prete, email@example.com, 910-962-7774
Institutional Official: Ron Vetter, firstname.lastname@example.org, 910-962-3224