for Undergraduate Students
The deadline for submission of Fall 2014
residency reclassification requests is August 20, 2014 by 5:00pm.
Applications are submitted to the Office of the Registrar in James Hall 110.
Each student admitted into UNCW is initially classified as either a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes by the appropriate admitting office. If an undergraduate student chooses to petition a reclassification of his or her residence status, application must be made to the Office of the Registrar. Students who wish to file a petition for reclassification should first familiarize themselves with the statutory provisions and then submit a completed Application for Classification as a Legal Resident (along with any required additional documentation) to the Office of the Registrar before the start of the term for which they wish to be considered.
Please note: students in the Graduate School requesting residency reclassification review will apply through the Graduate School, not through the Office of the Registrar.
Please refer to: http://uncw.edu/gradschool/instateresidency.html
for details on that process.
The application and all supporting documents are due on the first day of classes, as listed in the academic calendar, for the term in which residency reclassification is sought.
The following documentation does not guarantee a residency change, but may strengthen your appeal for in-state residency. If you choose to submit any or all of the following, please attach copies of these documents to the "Application for Classification as a Legal Resident (Domiciliary) of North Carolina for Tuition Purposes."
- Documents of residence for the past 12 months (i.e., lease/notarized statement from landlord).
- Copy of Federal and State tax returns for the previous year. Include copy of parent's tax return if you are under the age of 24.
- Year-to-date cumulative wage earnings statements from all jobs held for the current year and/or for the past 12 months.
- Evidence of your being a registered voter (in North Carolina).
- Evidence of motor vehicle ownership(s) - registration card.
- Copy of North Carolina Driver's License.
- Evidence of employment and/or means of financial support (i.e., student loans, scholarships, etc.)
- Evidence that you filed personal property or real property returns.
- Evidence of membership in community professional associations, unions, church, or other organizations.
- If you are a minor, your parents or legal guardian(s) must produce evidence of their domicile (legal place of residence).
- Copy of court-appointed guardianship.
- A copy of your parent's tax returns for the previous year if you are under the age of 24.
For more detailed information on residency and the process of applying for a reclassification, please follow the appropriate links below.
|Application for Classification as a Legal Resident (Domiciliary) of North Carolina for Tuition Purposes|
|Residence-and-Tuition Application Supplement for Non-U.S. Citizens|
|Application for Determination of Eligibility for the Military Tuition Benefit|