Programs & Services
Quality Enhancement for Nonprofit Organizations (QENO) is a partnership between University of North Carolina-Wilmington, funders, civic leaders and other community organizations to help build the capacity of nonprofit organizations and increase philanthropy in southeastern North Carolina.
Currently, QENO provides the following services
Workshops for All Nonprofit Leaders:
- Board Governance
- Exceptional Board Governance
- Financial Accountability
Typically two-day workshops, the trainings are open to all nonprofit leaders. Our signature workshop, Board Governance, identifies ways to increase board engagement by assessing the level of current engagement and culture. It will also:
- Appraise your board’s capacity to engage in generative governance and develop mechanisms to foster generative thinking and generative communication;
- Analyze how your board incorporates diversity of thought in board deliberation and identify steps to decrease groupthink and increase diverse perspectives;
- Determine which decision-making process is most appropriate in varying situations;
- Assess your board’s conflict management style and develop mechanisms to reduce destructive conflict and use constructive conflict as a means to promote innovation; and,
- Develop a board structure, composition, practices, and processes that support the work of exceptional boards.
Quarterly Executive Director Roundtables
These events offer the opportunity for only Executive Directors and equivalent a chance to speak candidly about issues affecting their organizations. A collaborative approach, leaders will listen and offer possible solutions to issues while a facilitator will guide the conservation to its purpose. In addition, guest speakers and trainers will periodically be present to offer expert advice to the challenges facing organizations. Roundtables are currently offered in New Hanover, Onslow, and Robeson counties.
Nonprofit Lunch & Learn Series
A combination of networking event and learning session, Lunch & Learn events offers a less formal training/informational format where instructors and participants engage in discussion on various topics that affect the nonprofit community. Past topics include volunteer management, marketing, human resource issues, and diversity. Programming changes often are guided by suggestion from participating organizations. Lunch & Learns are open to all community leaders.
The AmeriCorps VISTA Program
VISTA stands for Volunteers In Service To America and is a program that seeks to create sustainable change that will bring individuals and communities out of poverty. A VISTA member builds on the organizational capacity through volunteer management and community outreach. QENO has successfully placed a total of 7 VISTAs throughout Columbus, New Hanover, and Onslow counties and recently in Robeson County.
Weekly eNewsletter & ListServ
All organizations and members can opt to receive weekly newsletters and announcements regarding various capacity building activates and learning opportunities.
Organizations have the opportunity to engage in one-on-one coaching with a QENO consultant. Coaching is provided through various options:
- Organizations with VISTA members automatically receive up to 40 hours of coaching by a QENO consultant.
- Request for Proposals are issued to provide up to 10 hours of organizational coaching by a QENO consultant.
- QENO Consultants and staff may provide services on a fee-for-service basis pending availability.
Summer Graduate Student Fellow
Graduate-level Fellows are available to support administrative and organizational outreach activities for nonprofit organization. Fellows are subject to availability of funding and interest. Activities can include:
- Job shadow nonprofit executives
- Facilitate/co-facilitate programming
- Identify and develop service opportunities
- Assist in coordination, scheduling, administration and follow up with volunteers
- Grantwriting and Fund Development
- Facilitate partnerships and relationships with business and government sectors
- Organizational planning and capacity building