Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience we have answered some of the most commonly asked questions below. If you would like additional information please explore our webpage or contact Donna Treolo at or call the front office at 910-962-3220.

Current Students

Who is my advisor?
Do I need an advisor for a second major or minor?
When do I register for classes?
When can I see my advisor?
Can I declare two majors?
What are the deadlines to drop/add classes?
Can I retake a class?
When are final exams?
Who do I contact about...?
I am having difficulties with my classes. Where can I find help?

Prospective Students

How do I become a Political Science Major?
What opportunities for graduate study or professional employment are available to those who major in political science?
What organizations and events are available on campus and how can I get involved?
I am not local. Do you offer extension programs or distance learning courses?
Is there an honors track in Political Science
What minors are offered in the Public and International Affairs department?
Does the department offer study abroad opportunities?
What internship opportunities are available within the department?
What types of financial assistance are offered to students?
I am transfering from another university or college, what do I need to know?
I am a Military-Affiliated student, what do I need to know?
I am ready to apply.
What's next?

Current Students

Your advisor can be found on your Degree Audit which you can obtain through SeaNet.

You do not have to have an advisor if Political Science is your second major or if you have a minor in the Public and International Affairs Department but it is recommended. To obtain the information about your second advisor or to schedule an appointment with them please email PIA administrative associate Donna Treolo.

To register for classes you must first obtain a PIN number from your advisor. You will be assigned a date to register on SeaNet. For more information, visit the Registar.

Before registration, your advisor will email you to let you know how you may make an advising appointment with them (some use email and others use sign up sheets on their office doors). Be sure to sign up promptly and DO NOT MISS YOUR ADVISING APPOINTMENT. Professors see many students during the registration season, so it is imperative that you show up on time to your appointment so that you may have the time to discuss your academic progress at UNCW. Your advisor will then give you a PIN number that you will use to register on the assigned date.

Absolutely. There are many complimentary degree programs to the Political Science major. The Undergraduate Catalogue 2014-15 has information on requirements for a double major or double degree. For more information on how to declare a second major or change your current major visit the Registar.

You can find dates for registration, drop/add, and withdraw in the University Calendar 2014-15.

Students under the 2012-2013 or later catalogue may repeat a class up to three times. For more specific information as to how this will affect your grade, please visit the Registar.

You can find up to date exam schedules at the Registar

The Registar has a full directory that will assist you in contacting the right person to answer your specific question.

The University Learning Center offers a variety of options to assist students with academic difficulties. The ULC offers group and one-on-one study sessions and tutoring in writing, math, and study skills. Visit their website to learn more or make an appointment.

Prospective Students

For information on the requirements to declare a Political Science major, visit the University College.

Many Public and International Affairs undergraduates go on to graduate school, including graduate study in political science, law, and international affairs. The Public and International Affairs department offers graduate study in public administration as well as conflict management and resolution. See the graduate programs section of the website to learn more. For career opportunities, check out the Student Resources page.

The Department of Public and International Affairs does offer honors classes. To learn more about honors coursework, visit the Honors Scholars Program. The department also recognizes academic achievement in Political Science through the Honors Fraternity Pi Sigma Alpha. For more information contact faculty advisor Dr. Aaron King.

The department offers a variety of minors open to Political Science majors and non-Political Science majors alike. These minors allow you to focus and concentrate your studies in areas that interest you. For more information, visit our Minors tab.

The department offers a variety of study abroad opportunities that our students find both challenging and rewarding. For more information, visit the Study Abroad page.

The department encourages students to be proactive in their education and believes that internships are a great way to do that. Internships offer students valuable experience in a real-world setting.Internships can be used to gain academic credit and/or to build up student resumes. For more information, visit our Internships tab or contact the faculty advisor Dr. Jennifer Biddle.

The department offers several scholarships specific to Political Science majors. In addition, the University offers a variety of merit-based and need-based scholarships. The Office of Financial Aid is also happy to assist you with questions about financial assistance.

UNCW seeks transfer students who are academically curious, excited to be in the classroom and willing to immerse themselves in our community of scholars. For more information on transferring to UNCW, please visit the Admissions page.

UNCW has become one of the leading universities in the southeast and maintains a deep tradition of educating and collaborating with local military personnel, both active-duty and retired.The UNCW community is dedicated to supporting "Seahawks Who Serve," having created specific admission processes for both active-duty and veteran members of the armed services. For more information on Military-Affiliated student services, please visit the Admissions page.


UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  D. Treolo [ treolod AT uncw DOT edu ]