Our "Home" page--contains a brief "Welcome," a photo of our "home" (Bear Hall), a link to a page of information about our online program, a link to instructions on how to donate to the GLS Program Trust Fund, a link to this sitemap, and navigation schemas to the left and right. The navigation schemas are covered below.
Points of Interest
- Course Showcases - video recordings of presentations by instructors of courses being offered in the indicated semester/summer sessions. No link is offered here owing to the changing nature of the offerings. Check the home page.
- MALS Final Project videos - recordings of the MALS Final Project workshops presented each semester. No link is offered here owing to the changing nature of the offerings. Check the home page.
- Research Strategies - a YouTube presentation by the Randall Library. This is a must-see for anyone doing research for a paper, thesis, or final project.
- Admission and Degree Requirements - provides a link to the indicated page plus the entry on the home page provides important specific information about application and admission to UNCW and the GLS Program.
- Further Program Details - For further details about our program, please feel free to browse through the website. We suggest you start with "About Us." Click on the title above to go to the appropriate page
Focus on Alumni
A listing, by name, of students who deserve your attention. Click on the name for details.
Alumni (and Student) Authors
A listing, by name, of students and alumni who have published books. Click on the names for details.
Right Hand Navigation Links
- The right hand navigation schema lists frequently used pages on our website and the date on which each of those pages were last updated.
- MALS Final Project - The Committee's Page - an informational page intended to help final project committee members with the final project process.
- GLS News and Events - A calendar, both near and far term, reflecting events in the program.
- Student News - News items about alumni and current students.
- Scholarships and Assistantships - Information about scholarships, assistantships, and other financial assistance available to students in the GLS program. No specific information is provided about federal financial aid, but contact information for the graduate financial counselor is available.
- Student Projects and Final Defenses - Information, including photos, about those students who are ready to or have completed their final project oral defense. A calendar reflecting final project deadlines for current and future semesters is also provided.
- GLS Course Schedules (by semester) - A listing of courses, by semester/session. Internal links provide access to course descriptions, instructor information, and classroom location. Onslow County courses are included in this listing.
- Onslow County Extension GLS Information - A listing of extension courses, by semester/session. As with the main campus listing, internal links provide access to course descriptions, instructor information, and classroom location.
- Faculty and Staff News - News items about faculty and staff.
Left Hand Navigation Links
Features the Graduate Liberal Studies (GLS) Program mission statement, student learning outcomes, unique features of the GLS Program, and links to the GLS Organizational Chart, the GLS Policy Manual, and UNCW's Academic Honor Code.
- Director’s Welcome – A welcoming letter to prospective students and others from the GLS Director, Dr. Patricia Turrisi.
- Our Faculty -- A list of UNCW and temporary faculty participating in the GLS program with photos and links to their personal webpages, email addresses, and course descriptions for their GLS courses.
- Our Staff/ Contact Us – Contact information for Dr. Patricia Turrisi, Director; Ms. Ashley Hudson, Assistant Director; and Perry Campbell, Program Assistant. Links to the UNCW Graduate School and other North Carolina universities with Liberal Studies programs are also available.
An overview of liberal studies including the objectives and special features of the GLS Program. As in "Our Staff/Contact Us," links to other North Carolina universities with Liberal Studies programs are provided.
- Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) – Explanation and benefits of a MALS degree. See Master of Arts in Liberal Studies under "Admissions and Requirements" for details about application, enrollment deadlines, and degree requirements.
- GLS (MALS) and Conflict Management and Resolution (CMR) - Information about the MALS degree and the post-baccalaureate certificate in CMR.
- GLS (MALS) and Gerontology – Information about the MALS degree and the post-baccalaureate certificate in gerontology.
- GLS (MALS) and Hispanic Studies – Information about the MALS degree and the post-baccalaureate certificate in Hispanic Studies.
- GLS (MALS) and Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) – Information about the MALS degree and the post-baccalaureate certificate in Women's and Gender Studies.
- Post Master’s Certificate – Overview and pertinent information regarding the GLS Post Master’s certificate. Covers application requirements, certificate requirements, and the required exit exam.
- Onslow County Extension Program – Information on MALS and other UNCW graduate programs available at the Onslow County extension campus at Camp Lejeune, NC. This is not a page on the GLS website.
Leadin page with links to each of the below pages:
- Master’s of Arts in Liberal Studies — Covers application requirements, degree requirements, and degree concentrations.
- Post-Master’s Certificate - Overview of and pertinent information regarding the GLS Post Master’s certificate. Covers application requirements, certificate requirements, and the required exit exam.
- Scholarships and Assistantships – Information about scholarships, assistantships, and other financial assistance available to students in the GLS program. No specific information is provided about federal financial aid, but contact information for the financial aid counselor assigned to UNCW's graduate students is provided..
- Academic Regulations – A link is provided to the "Academic Regulations and Procedures" section of UNCW's Graduate Catalogue.
- Expenses – An explanation is provided describing the billing process for students taking both main campus and extension courses concurrently. A link is provided to the Student Accounts "Tuition and Fees" web page.
- Residency – A link is provided to the Graduate School's web page titled "North Carolina Residency Information."
Contains a comprehensive list of GLS courses. With the exceptions of GLS 592, GLS 598, and GLS 599, most courses are linked to an expanded course description. GLS 592, Special Topics in Liberal Studies, is linked to a list of all GLS 592 courses that have been offered since the program's inception--each listed course has a link to a course description. GLS 598 and GLS 599 are linked to the "MALS Final Project Instructions" and "Post-Master's Exit Exam" pages (see below for links) respectively.
- Upcoming Courses - A listing of GLS courses offered on UNCW's main campus during future, current, and past semesters. Each course listing contains links to a course description, instructor information, and an interactive map of the UNCW campus..
- Onslow County Extension GLS courses - A listing of GLS courses offered at Camp Lejeune during future, current, and past semesters. Each course listing contains links to a course description, instructor information, and a map of Camp Lejeune.
- Post Master’s Exit Exam - Overview of the GLS Post-Master’s certificate examination.
- MALS Final Project Instructions – A comprehensive set of instructions for proposing and completing the MALS Final Project, the capstone experience in the MALS degree. Students preparing for or working on their final project should read this page carefully. In addition to a great deal of information, there are many useful links.
Useful and required forms for GLS students, faculty, and administrators broken down as follows:
- Graduate School Forms
- Initial Application
- Administration - broken into four sections as seen below
- Current Students
- Requests - three areas of interest
- Graduate Liberal Studies Program Forms
- Other Forms - a link to UNCW's Administrative Forms Directory
General information about GLS students.
- Profiles – Personal statements by past and present GLS students and alumni.
- News - News items about alumni and current students.
- Student Association - Information about the GLS student association.
- Projects and Final Defenses – Information, including photos, about those students who have completed their final project oral defense.
A web page detailing the process and requirements for the completion of the MALS Final Project -- GLS 598, Final Project in Liberal Studies
A web page with information about past GLS conferences.
A non-UNCW page with details concerning this journal including how to submit, access to read, and a link to its Facebook page.
If you cannot find what you need with this sitemap, please feel free to contact us for assistance. Use the "Our Staff/Contact Us" page for contact information.
Last Update: July 31, 2015