M.S. in Data Science
UNCW will offer an 18 month, accelerated master's degree in data science beginning in Fall 2017. This is a joint program offered by the departments of computer science and mathematics and statistics. The program will be a collaborative effort between the departments, the larger academic community and the business community that emphasizes computational-based applications of traditional data analysis methods as well as current trends in data mining and machine learning.
What is the Master of Data Science program?
The Master of Data Science is a professional interdisciplinary program that emphasizes computational-based applications of traditional data analysis methods and current trends in data mining and machine learning to turn data into information, and information into insight.
Students are offered the opportunity to:
- Develop proficiency in both a general-purpose programming language and a statistical programming language
- Advance skills to build appropriate statistical models to solve real-world analytics problems
- Enhance the ability to communicate analytical information effectively that solves data interpretation problems specific to employer needs
Who should apply?
- Recent college graduates looking to pursue paths to understanding interpretation and manipulation of data and how it relates to academic and industry solutions
- Professionals seeking to advance or innovate their career path by applying analytics to achieve competitive intelligence
- Computational Data Science
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Linear Methods
- Machine Learning
- Categorical Data Analysis
- Spatial-Temporal Analysis