CSURF Research/Creative Scholarship Supplies Awards
The CSURF Research/Creative Scholarship Supplies Awards will be awarded on a competitive basis to students enrolled in honors projects (499) or DIS (491) projects. Students in any major are eligible. These awards are offered to help support the costs of supplies needed to conduct the undergraduate research or creative scholarship project.
Students should complete the application and the faculty supervisor must approve it before submission to CSURF. This is a chance for students to try their hand at a mini-grant proposal, so we ask students, not faculty supervisors, to write the applications.
- The maximum award is $300. Only one award per academic year per student.
- Allowable costs include supplies inextricably bound to the conduct of the project.
- Unallowable costs include: printing or binding of honors project paper, travel expenses, student salary, administrative support, faculty salary, expenses associated with completing degree requirements or meeting licensing/certification requirements, incentives or gifts for participants, food for research particpants, and attendance at conferences, meetings, or symposia.
- Copying (xerox) expenses for research materials may be considered if justified.
- Small equipment (books, DVD, hard drive, IPAD) can only be considered if it remains the property of UNCW at the end of the project- the student may not keep these materials.
- All requested costs are to be detailed and justified in the budget and budget narrative.
- This is only for “new” supplies for the honors or DIS project. We are not able to reimburse costs already incurred by the department or the student.
Deadline: Please submit a digital copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with or without approval signatures and a hard copy with approval signatures to the Honors College Office (located on the second floor of Randall Library) by 5pm September 30 for Fall Awards and 5pm February 10 for Spring Awards. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made as soon as possible.
The application must include the following:
- 1. Cover Page
- 2. Narrative. A short proposal narrative that includes: a clear and concise statement of the nature and objectives of the proposed activity, written for a multi-disciplinary audience. The first paragraph should summarize why the specific funds are needed for the research and how much is being requested. Length should not exceed two double spaced pages. If you are conducting research that requires IRB or IACUC approval ,be sure to indicate whether your project procedures have been approved.
- 3. Itemized budget. An itemized line-item budget with a budget narrative that provides justification for the specific funds requested, including a detailed explanation of each item. Be sure to include the source (company) that you will purchases the supplies from. If there is cost sharing by the department, this should be described.
Selection of Recipients
- Members of the Honors Faculty Advisory Council and CSURF Board will review the materials. In evaluating proposals, the Councils will consider the strength of the narrative and the rationale for the supplies to conduct the research.
Recipients should acknowledge the award in any publications or presentations that result from the project.
Recipients must also complete a reflection about the project. Click for Guidelines.