Student Sexual Misconduct Policy
In accordance with new federal Title IX guidance and to maintain compliance with the Clery Act and North Carolina law, UNCW has revised its previous Sexual Assault Policy to create our new Student Sexual Misconduct policy. Allegations of sexual misconduct by faculty or staff are addressed by the University’s Harassment Prevention Policy and Harassment Resolution Procedures.
Reporting Student Sexual Misconduct
All University employees who receive a report of alleged sexual misconduct by a student, on or off-campus, must notify the Dean of Students or the Title IX Coordinator. In addition, all University resources are required by North Carolina law to report abuse or neglect upon a child or any disabled person.
- Faculty or staff receiving reports of sexual misconduct must complete the on-line Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form.
- This form is located within "My Seaport" under the Academics Tab. If you do not have access to My Seaport, you can use the paper form.
- The reporting form must be completed within 1 business day. If using a paper form, deliver to Dr. Michael Walker, Dean of Students/Title IX Designee, via hand delivery (Alderman 101), email attachment (firstname.lastname@example.org), or fax (910-962-3905).
Inform the student that they will receive direct contact from the Dean of Students or his designee if an administrative investigation will be required.
Three departments remain confidential resources to students: CARE: Interpersonal Violence Prevention & Response, the Counseling Center, and the Abrons Student Health Center and are exempted from reporting sexual misconduct unless the student is willing.
Resources for Students
Each student who reports sexual misconduct must be informed of their Title IX rights. An effective way to do so is to provide the student with a copy of:
You may choose to seek further assistance by contacting the UNCW CARE (Collaboration for Assault Response & Education) office at 962-CARE or the CARE responder at 512-4821. A CARE Victim Advocate is available to consult with you and the student by phone or in person and available to help you individually with the process.
The following offices and programs are resources for students in regards to sexual misconduct:
- UNCW CARE* 910-962-CARE or 910-512-4821 (crisis after-hours)
- UNCW Police 910- 962-2222
- Office of the Dean of Students 910-962-3119
- Student Health* 910-962-3280
- Counseling Center* 910-962-3746
- Rape Crisis Center (off-campus agency) 910-392-7460
- Domestic Violence Shelter & Services (off-campus agency) 910-343-0703
* UNCW CARE, the Abrons Student Health Center, and the Counseling Center are confidential resources, where students can discuss concerns about sexual misconduct while maintaining the choice of whether or not to report to the university.
Sexual misconduct and sexual assaults are forms of sexual harassment prohibited by Title IX, 20 USC §168(a). The University’s Title IX Coordinator is designated to assure these policies and procedures are properly followed. The Title IX Coordinator is:
Dr. Terrence Curran
CB 5900 Alderman Hall 109A
Reports of student sexual misconduct or harassment should be made to Dr. Michael Walker, Dean of Students as the Title IX Designee at:
Dr. Michael Walker
Associate Vice Chancellor & Dean of Students
CB 5982 Alderman Hall 101
Training for departments, programs, and groups on Title IX reporting obligations and the Student Sexaul Misconduct Policy is available. Contact UNCW CARE (910-962-CARE or email@example.com) or the Office of General Counsel or to schedule a training for your group.
Questions about the policy can be addressed to the Office of General Counsel. Resources for students are available through UNCW CARE and the Division of Student Affairs.