News and information
Frequently Asked Questions
Facility Rental Information
- Requirements and Restrictions for University based groups
- Requirements and Restrictions for Non-University groups and organizations
- Gazebo Reservation Form
The Student Recreation Center (SRC) provides space dedicated to open recreation to meet the needs of the university community.
The SRC creates opportunities for individuals to improve their total fitness, develop healthy lifestyle habits, improve sports and outdoor recreation skills, reduce stress, increase energy level, improve strength and endurance, realize the positive rewards from an active lifestyle as well as meet and interact with others.
Entry to the Student Recreation Center is through a card swipe system that requires an active University UNCW One card. All participants must have a UNCW One ID card for entry. Temporary ID cards are available through Auxiliary Services for ID holders who have lost or misplaced their IDs.
Harris Teeter Fitness Center
Offers 5500sqft of state of the art fitness equipment featuring Precor cardio, Freemotion Cable Motion machines, Matrix selectorized machines, and Hoist and Hammer Strength Free Weight equipment. Enjoy using your iPod on the cardio machines and stay efficient while the Matrix selectorized machines count your reps for you!
The multipurpose courts are used for a variety of activities. The three court area can be set up for basketball, volleyball or badminton. Basketball play is on a first come first serve basis. Volleyball can be set up until 4:30pm Mon - Thu. Badminton can be set up early mornings or weekends.
Group Exercise Studio
A variety of class times are available including times for the early risers and those that prefer a late night workout. Classes include: Cardio Dance, Kickboxing, Step, Hydrofit, Boot Camp, Fusion, Seahawk Sculpt, Core, Yoga Flow, Advanced Yoga and Pilates
The UNCW Student Recreation Center climbing wall stands approximately 28 feet high and provides over 1900 square feet of climbing surface. Routes range in difficulty from "no sweat" slab climbing to a fiercely overhanging arete section. The wall is intended for those with no experience to expert. First time climbers climb for free.
Locker Room privileges and rules include:
- Daily use lockers are available at no charge. These lockers are located in the men’s and women’s locker rooms. Locks are available for checkout at the Lobby Desk. Locks are for use during stay in SRC only.
- Locks may not be left on lockers overnight. Personal locks will be cut off and the contents of the locker removed at the end of each day. Contents removed from lockers may be picked up in the Campus Recreation office.
- The Department of Campus Recreation and its staff are not responsible for personal belongings. Please secure all belongings while in the SRC as we cannot insure the safety of any items that are not properly secured during your visit.
The three-lane track provides a temperature-controlled environment for
participants to utilize year round. The walk/jog track is located upstairs and is available during all facility hours. Distance: 9 times around the center lane = 1 mile
- Inside lane is for runners and two outside lanes are for joggers/walkers
- Walking/jogging direction will be rotated daily for even wear of the track surface
- Only appropriate athletic running, walking, or cross training shoes are to be worn on the track. No spikes!
- No spectating is permitted from the track for everyone's safety
- Stretching is allowed in the corners of the running track where mats are located.
A variety of games and a series of "high" and "low" elements make up the Challenge Course. These elements serve as building blocks, which facilitate groups to a higher level of development. The Challenge Course stretches participants mentally and physically, but at a level of comfort that is acceptable to individuals and the group.
Gazebo Area Facilities include:
- 4 Lighted Tennis Courts (includes a Tennis Hitting Wall)
- 3 Lighted Outdoor Basketball Courts
- 2 Lighted Sand Volleyball Courts
- 1 Lighted Softball Field
1 Multi-purpose field
- Gazebo Reservation Form
- Individual completes form and signs
- Individual emails, faxes (910-962-3757) or delivers form to Campus Recreation
- Reservation will be confirmed pending security coverage notification
- Form is forwarded to University Police by Campus Recreation for security coverage notification, allow 48 hours for notification
- University Police will indicate security coverage need and resubmit form to Campus Recreation
- Individual/Organization will be contacted by email confirming reservation and/or notification of security coverage need. If security coverage is required by University Police, individual or organization is responsible for expense associated with this coverage. Reservations will be cancelled for events requiring security coverage but denied by individual/organization.
- Reservations should be requested 7-14 days in advance to allow for complete processing by all areas.
The Recreational Fields are located behind Hanover gym adjacent to the athletic soccer, softball and baseball fields.
- Six lighted flag football fields
- Three lighted soccer fields
For usage inquires, contact the Department of Campus Recreation @ 910-962-7443
Information Needed from any group who wants to rent Facility space:
- Name of group/organization requesting reservation and areas needed
- Date of Event
- Time of Event (set-up [time], start, end)
- Name of Event
- Contact person and phone # (work & home)
- Description of event
- Anticipated attendance (estimated)
- Additional set-up you are planning (i.e., entertainment set-up and equipment, additional tables, chairs, grill, etc., none of this equipment is provided-you will need to make your own arrangements for these things. See contact list below.)
- University Police make the decision as to whether your event requires Police or security officers. They must sign off on your reservation agreement form.
- Completed Department of Campus Recreation Reservation Agreement Form for the Gazebo Recreation Area. *This form must be completed and filed with the Department of Campus Recreation at least 14 days prior to the event.