News and information
Building Floor Layout (PDF)
Facility Rental Information
- The Gazebo Recreation Area will have limited availability for reservations beginning December 1, 2015 due to the renovation of the Intramural Fields. Click here for more information.
- Requirements and Restrictions for University based groups (under review)
- Requirements and Restrictions for Non-University groups and organizations (under review)
- Gazebo Reservation Form
The Student Recreation Center (SRC) provides space dedicated to open recreation to meet the needs of the university community.
The SRC creates opportunities for individuals to improve their total fitness, develop healthy lifestyle habits, improve sports and outdoor recreation skills, reduce stress, increase energy level, improve strength and endurance, realize the positive rewards from an active lifestyle as well as meet and interact with others.
Entry to the Student Recreation Center is through a card swipe system that requires an active University UNCW One card. All participants must have a UNCW One ID card for entry. Temporary ID cards are available through Auxiliary Services for ID holders who have lost or misplaced their IDs.
The Aquatics Facility includes an Indoor Pool, an Outdoor Pool, and Patio Deck. The Indoor Pool is an 8-lane, 25 yard multi-functional facility which can offer a wide variety of aquatic exercise and recreational activities. The Outdoor Pool is a seasonal facility (April through September) that is in the shape of the Seahawk. It is a leisure pool equipped with built in benches and bubble jets. Included on the patio is plenty of furniture for lounging, ideal for a quick break between classes! Kickboards, pull buoys, life jackets, and water basketball can be made available to patrons.
Harris Teeter Functional Training Area
The Harris Teeter Functional Training Area provides a space to utilize various pieces of fitness equipment to get a total body workout. Functional training is meant to develop the body to perform better through activities that occur in daily life. Featured equipment in the Harris Teeter Functional Training Area include: Freemotion, LifeFitness Synrgy, TRX, ViPR, and a selection of free weights. Small Group Training classes also take place in this area.
The Fitness Center includes both cardio and strength equipment. There are 114 pieces of cardio equipment to utilize. In addition, patrons can create profiles to track workouts, watch tv, and even surf the web on most equipment! Patrons can even download the Preva App on their smartphone to take view workouts anytime and anywhere. The Fitness Center also houses almost 10,000 square feet of strength equipment. The strength line includes selectorized, plate loaded, free weights, and even Olympic lifting platforms.
Group Exercise Studios
There are three group exercise studios in the Student Recreation Center. One is a dedicated indoor cycling studio with 21 Keiser M3+ bikes with SPD clips. Nationally certified instructors create a safe, effective, and fun exercise environment. Classes are designed to accommodate all fitness levels. GX Classes are scheduled throughout the day and feature an array of popular workout formats. From BODYPUMP to Core to Zumba and everything in between, there is a class that will satisfy anyone's taste!
Fitness Assessment Center
Located in the Fitness Suite is a state of the art exercise testing lab. Fitness Assessment equipment includes a BOD POD, emit Wood way Sub max Treadmill Testing, Functional Movement Screens, and much more.
The multipurpose courts are used for a variety of activities. The four courts can be set up for basketball, volleyball or badminton. Basketball play is on a first come first serve basis.
The MAC gym is used for a variety of activities. The two court area can be set up for basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer, or team handball.
The UNCW Student Recreation Center climbing wall stands approximately 28 feet high and provides over 1900 square feet of climbing surface. Routes range in difficulty from "no sweat" slab climbing to an overhanging arete section. The wall is intended for those with no experience to advanced climbers.
The Student Recreation Center contains 3 racquetball courts. Reservations may be made by calling the SRC Lobby Desk at 910.962.3261. Note: Two of the three courts may be reserved however, Individuals are only permitted to reserve one 1 hour block per court per day.
Table Tennis & Lounge
Two table tennis tables are located up on the mezzanine overlooking the cardio bay. This area also includes a few high top tables and chairs to relax at and socialize between games. Paddles are available to check out at the Lobby Desk for free however, the balls are .25 cents each and available at the table tennis tables.
Locker Room privileges and rules include:
- Daily use lockers are available at no charge. These lockers are located in the men’s and women’s locker rooms. Locks are available for checkout at the Lobby Desk. Locks are for use during stay in SRC only.
- Locks may not be left on lockers overnight. Personal locks will be cut off and the contents of the locker removed at the end of each day. Contents removed from lockers may be picked up in the Campus Recreation office.
- The Department of Campus Recreation and its staff are not responsible for personal belongings. Please secure all belongings while in the SRC as we cannot ensure the safety of any items that are not properly secured during your visit.
The three-lane track provides a temperature-controlled environment for
participants to utilize year round. The walk/jog track is located upstairs and is available during all facility hours. Distance: 9 times around the center lane = 1 mile
- Inside lane is for runners and two outside lanes are for joggers/walkers
- Walking/jogging direction will be rotated daily for even wear of the track surface
- Only appropriate athletic running, walking, or cross training shoes are to be worn on the track. No spikes!
- No spectating is permitted from the track for everyone's safety
- Stretching is allowed in the corners of the running track where mats are located.
A variety of games and a series of "high" and "low" elements make up the Challenge Course. These elements serve as building blocks, which facilitate groups to a higher level of development. The Challenge Course stretches participants mentally and physically, but at a level of comfort that is acceptable to individuals and the group.
* The Gazebo Recreation Area will have limited availability for reservations beginning December 1, 2015 due to the renovation of the Intramural Fields. During the renovation period all outdoor Intramural Sports and Sport Club activities will utilize the area Sunday through Friday during varying hours. Organizations may still request space using the current reservations process and will be processed on a first come/ first serve basis. We appreciate your patience in this matter. If you have any questions please contact our staff via email (email@example.com), phone (910-962-7443), or in person (Student Recreation Center Room 140). *
Gazebo Area Facilities include:
- Recreation Fields
- 1 Large Multipurpose Lighted Grass Field
- Gazebo Building
- Rest Rooms
- Indoor Covered "stage area" equipped with roll up garage doors for open theater style.
- Tennis Courts
- 4 Lighted Tennis Courts
(includes a Tennis Hitting Wall)
- 4 Lighted Tennis Courts
- Basketball Courts
- 3 Lighted Outdoor Courts
- Sand Volleyball
- 2 Lighted Courts
- Softball Field
- 1 Lighted Softball Field
- Dirt In-Field / Grass Outfield
Gazebo Reservation Form
- Please complete the Gazebo Reservation Form electronically, including signature and forward to Campus Recreation for review using the Submit button located on the form.
- Any groups not affiliated with UNCW should contact the Main Office prior to requesting a reservation.
- You also have the option of completing the form manually and routing via email, fax or hand deliver to our office.
- Phone: 910-962-7443
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 910-962-3757
- Office: Student Rec Center, Rm 140
Please note, reservations should be requested at least 7 days in advance in order to allow time for processing.
Once received in our office, your reservation request will be reviewed and forwarded to University Police to determine if Police/Security coverage is required for your event. If coverage is required, you will be responsible for the expense.
You will receive an email confirmation from our office once your request has been processed. Please note the following:
- Campus Recreation does not provide any set-up for your event.
- You may be billed at a rate of $12/hr. for supervision if your event occurs outside of the hours of 5-9PM Monday - Friday.
- You will be billed a minimum of $100 in the case of any unnecessary cleaning at the conclusion of your event.
- You will be contacted after the event in regards to any balance due.
- Reservations not cancelled within 24 hours of an event will be charged a minimum of $12. All cancellation requests must be made by phone, please contact:
- Main Office – Monday through Friday, 8-5PM at 910-962-7443
- Lobby Desk – After 5PM at 910-962-3261
The Recreational Fields are located behind Hanover gym adjacent to the athletic soccer, softball and baseball fields.
- Six lighted flag football fields
- Three lighted soccer fields
For usage inquires, contact the Department of Campus Recreation at 910-962-7443.
Information needed from any group that wants to rent facility space:
- Name of group/organization requesting reservation and areas needed
- Date of Event
- Time of Event (set-up [time], start, end)
- Name of Event
- Contact person and phone # (work & home)
- Description of event
- Anticipated attendance (estimated)
- Additional set-up you are planning (i.e., entertainment set-up and equipment, additional tables, chairs, grill, etc., none of this equipment is provided-you will need to make your own arrangements for these things. See contact list below.)
- University Police make the decision as to whether your event requires Police or security officers. They must sign off on your reservation agreement form.
- Completed Department of Campus Recreation Reservation Agreement Form for the Gazebo Recreation Area. *This form must be completed and filed with the Department of Campus Recreation at least 14 days prior to the event.