Production by UNC Wilmington Theatre Students Taking Stage Downtown

Rylan Morsbach in I Am My Own Wife Photo by Liz Bernardo

Monday, May 14, 2012

The senior capstone project of two University of North Carolina Wilmington theatre students will come to life on the stage of The Red Barn Studio May 17-20.  I Am My Own Wife, written by Doug Wright, is a one-person show performed by graduating senior Rylan Morsbach and directed by Trey Morehouse, also a 2012 graduate.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and Tony Award for Best Play in 2004, I Am My Own Wife tells the fascinating tale of Charlotte von Mahlsdorf, a real-life German transvestite who managed to survive both the Nazi regime and the repressive East German government. The production unfolds as a series of interviews conducted by the playwright, who discovers that Charlotte's heroism is more complicated than it first appears.

Shows run at 8 p.m. May 17, 18 and 19, with a 2 p.m. matinee May 20. Tickets are $12 for the general public and $10 for students and seniors. Tickets are available at the door one hour prior to the show - cash or check only. To reserve seats, call 910.762.0955.

The Red Barn Studio, located at 1122 South 3rd Street in downtown Wilmington, is run by Tony Award winner Linda Lavin and her husband Steve Bakunas.

A "talk back" with audience members concerning the play, the process and the politics of the piece will be held following the May 20 matinee performance. UNCW assistant professor of English Professor Katie Peel, who teaches subjects in gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning (GLBTQ) literature and theory, will lead that discussion

Quotes about the original Broadway production:

"I Am My Own Wife is the most stirring new work to appear on Broadway this fall…both moving and intellectually absorbing." - NY Times

"I Am My Own Wife revels in a particular time and place, but it is more than a historical document. The play is a vivid portrait of a unique person whose ability to endure has been turned into a highly theatrical journey."   - Associated Press

"A truly remarkable experience in the theatre, I Am My Own Wife is a must-see…an experience that is intellectual, theatrical, funny, and poignant…the integrity of his writing provokes us to think, it teaches us a history we never knew we had, and without forgiveness and sentiment unravels the story of one life."    - NYTheatre.com