The Office of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) manages 45 residential buildings that include traditional residence halls, suites, and apartments. Collectively, these buildings house over 4,100 students, representing nearly 40% of the undergraduate population. Although UNCW does not require any students to live on campus, housing facilities have maintained nearly 100% occupancy rates for the past ten years.
Housing & Residence Life's mission goes beyond simply providing students with a place to sleep, and they strive to appropriately challenge residents to develop to their full potential by supporting their educational growth and personal development. The office does this in a variety of ways including specialty housing, opportunities to serve in student government, and study at other institutions.
Alternatively, the Seahawk Perch serves as link of students living off-campus. Through different community-orientation programs, this office ensures that even UNCW students living off-campus are provided the same opportunities for involvement and personal growth that a student living on-campus enjoys. Finally, the Seahawk Perch will also assist in everything from apartment hunting to getting the lights turned on through a vast network or connections in the Cape Fear region and various resources they produce.
Curently, UNCW offers housing in eight residence halls, thirteen apartment buildings, seven suite buildings, and seventeen modern apartment buildings which are reserved for upperclassmen only.
First-year students may live in any location except the modern apartment buildings (again, only sophomores, juniors and seniors can live in these locations). Specialty housing is also provided in various locations for students in specific special interest programs and fraternity or sorority life.
Residence halls are setup in one of three ways:
- Hallway-Style - a traditional residence hall with single-sex bedrooms down both sides of the hallway and community bathrooms in the center.
- Pod-Style - a horseshoe of single-sex rooms surrounding a common living area and community bathrooms in the center.
- Suite-Style - two single-sex bedrooms joined by a common study lounge/living room, which share a bathroom with an identical two-bedroom unit.
|Name||Setup||Capacity||Notes & Other Special Features|
|Belk Hall||Suite-Style||192||Female Only (UNCW's only non-co-ed housing location)|
|Cornerstone Hall||Pod-Style||264||Home to students in Learning Communities|
|Galloway Hall||Hallway-Style||389||UNCW's only traditional hallway-style "dorm"|
|Graham Hall||Suite-Style||192||Shares a common room and meeting space with Hewlett Hall|
|Hewlett Hall||Suite-Style||192||Shares a common room and meeting space with Graham Hall|
|Honors House||Pod-Style||100||Home to students in the Honors Scholars Program|
|International House||Pod-Style||100||Partners an American student and a foreign student in each room|
|Schwartz Hall||Pod-Style||155||Themed by floor|
Additionally, students may reside in:
- University Apartments - 4-person single-sex apartments, which share a common living room, kitchen and dining area, as well as a bathroom for all four residents. Each resident has their own bedroom.
- University Suites - 10-person single-sex suite, which share a common living room, kitchen and dining area, as well as a bathroom for all ten residents. Single suites provide ten individual bedrooms; double suites provide two individual bedrooms and four two-person bedrooms
- Seahawk Village, Seahawk Landing, and Seahawk Crossing - 2-, 3-, 4-, 6- or 8-person modern apartments, which share a common living room, full kitchen, and dining area, as well as one or more bathrooms per apartment unit. Each resident has their own bedroom.
Regardless of location, all residential facilities on UNCW's campus are heated, air-conditioned, and smoke free. Additionally, every resident is provided:
- Convenient access to free laundry facilities
- High-speed internet access (wired and wireless)
- Keyed access to individual rooms and keycard access to building entrances
- Kitchen or kitchenette facilities
- Personal Voicemail and a phone connection (including local calling)
- Premium cable television (including HBO)