- International Overview
- Requirements for Freshmen
- Requirements for Transfers
- Non-Degree Seeking International Admissions
- International Student Application Checklist
- English Proficiency
- Visas & Documentation
- Financial Considerations
- Deadlines & Applying
- Contact Information
- Conditional Admission
- What can I do with a major in?
- Next Steps for Admitted International Students
- Counseling International Students
- Wilmington Area
International Admission - English Proficiency
TOEFL & IELTS English Proficiency Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); minimum score of 71 on the Internet-based exam. *Scores older than two (2) years will not be accepted. UNCW's school code is 5907.
- 527 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL. Note: paper-based TOEFL scores will only be accepted from students enrolled in UNCW’s ESL program where the paper-based TOEFL exam will be offered twice each semester.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS); minimum score of 6.0 on the academic module. Scores older than two (2) years will not be accepted.
TOEFL & IELTS Waiver Exceptions
- SAT-I Critical Reading sub-section score of 450 or higher (first-year students only). *Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. UNCW's school code is 5907.
- ACT Reading sub-section score of 20 or higher (first-year students only). Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. UNCW's school code is 5907.
- A student successfully completes Level 4 in UNCW’s ESL program. Level 4 participants must maintain a 3.0 GPA and have an attendance rate above 85% while in the ESL program.
- Completion of two college-level courses of English composition at a U.S. college or university with a grade of B or higher (transfer students only).
For those needing to strengthen proficiency, UNCW offers an English as a Second Language (ESL) program.