Warehouse Services

UNCW Surplus; filing cabinets at the surplus sale

Surplus Property - University Departments

Departmental Viewing of Surplus Property

Property designated as surplus is available to university departments on a first-come, first-served basis. Surplus Property does not keep an inventory of what is available; therefore, we invite faculty and staff to view surplus property.

Viewing hours are Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. except the Monday and Tuesday prior to the public sale

Please call 2-2289 for an appointment.

How Do Departments Designate Property as Surplus Property?

To send property and equipment to Surplus Property (regardless of whether the item is equipment or not, or has a fixed asset tag), departments must prepare an online Disposal Request. Departments may access the Disposal Request on the Surplus Property Management System by going to U-Business and selecting the "Surplus Property" link.

Multiple items may be listed on one Disposal Request when a group of like items without fixed asset decals is being declared surplus property. For example, if you wish to surplus 40 student desks, use one form for "40 student desks."

With the Web-based Surplus Property Management System, you're able to

  • Enter requests to surplus items online
  • Route electronic approvals
  • Track the status of your surplus request

Go to the Surplus Property Access form

Surplus Property Management System Handouts

Upon completion of the Disposal Request on the U-Business Web site, the request is routed electronically to Warehouse Services for property pickup. Departments may bring items to Surplus Property, with a copy of the Disposal Request attached.

Availability of State Surplus Property for Use by University Departments

Departments may purchase property from NC State Surplus Property by sealed bid, negotiated sale or public auction. If you know of items for sale by another State agency prior to it being placed on sealed bid, your department may negotiate a price with the agency. This property must be purchased via a purchase order.

We do not store your surplus purchases; therefore, only items for immediate use should be purchased. If interested, contact Purchasing Services for more information.

Availability of Federal Surplus Property to University Departments

Departments may also purchase federal surplus property. For procurement processes, contact Purchasing Services.