Sunset at the beach

Lodging for Student Groups

Lodging expenses for student groups can be prepaid directly to the lodging establishment or reimbursed after trip is complete.

How to enter Prepaid Lodging in Chrome River

When entering lodging expenses in Chrome River, as a prepaid expense for a student group you will need to enter the amount under the Lodging tile. Please select the student group lodging account code. Only include lodging plus any taxes & fees.

Please be sure to upload the invoice from the hotel and a list of students going on the trip.

Cancellation of Prepaid Lodging
When a trip cancellation involves lodging expenses that were pre-paid to the hotel by the University, the employee's department must get a refund from the lodging establishment. When the refund is given, the department should take the refund check to the travel office with a memo specifying which travel the check applies to. The travel office will deposit the check to the correct fund and account for you.

Reimbursement for Lodging

When entering lodging expenses to be reimbursed for Student Group Travel in Chrome River, use the lodging tile. Please remember to use the student group account codes.  Only include lodging plus any taxes & fees.

If someone besides the traveler paid for the lodging expense, the expense report should be payable to the person that paid for the lodging after the trip takes place.

Third Party Lodging

There has been a change in Third Party Lodging. OSBM now considers all campgrounds and campsites including National and State Parks as Third Party Lodging, regardless if under the state rate. Airbnb is also considered Third Party Lodging by OSBM. Third Party Lodging refers to establishments that are being rented out by a third party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law. Third Party Lodging Requests must be submitted and approved before the trip begins. If submitted after the fact, there is a risk that the Third Party Lodging Request would not be approved by OSBM, therefore we would not be able to reimburse for that lodging.

Third party lodging is no longer allowed unless approved by OSBM before the trip begins. Third party lodging refers to an establishment that is being rented out by a third party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law. This means the only lodging allowable is in a hotel or motel. Any apartment or house rental will not be allowed unless OSBM approves beforehand.

For example, if the traveler chooses to stay in an apartment, house or other type of facility other than a regular hotel or motel the traveler must complete the following procedures prior to making lodging arrangements.

Process to request an exception to the Policy

The traveler will need to provide a memo to the Travel Office including:

  • Purpose of having to rent the establishment
  • Provide evidence of savings to the state
  • Amount of the rental
  • Length of stay
  • List of everyone staying on the property
  • Funding source being used (fund number)
  • Copy or Rental Agreement from the Third Party Lodging Property
  • The traveler must attest in writing that there is no conflict of interest (no family members own the property or benefit financially from the rental)

 Three printed comparisons for 3 hotel/motels in the area (from websites such as, etc) must accompany the Third Party Lodging Request.

OSBM Exception Form
Please forward the above information to Becca Hayes


Flowers Documentation Required for Reimbursement for Lodging

An original itemized paid receipt from a commercial lodging establishment showing the cost of the room and taxes per night. The receipt must show a zero balance.

Lodging arrangements booked online through a vendor such as Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. are subject to the same rules as above. The following items are required:

  • The original online receipt confirming reservation and showing payment, with breakdown of the cost of the room and taxes each night, the number of nights and the number of guests.

  • Receipts are not normally given by the commercial lodging establishment except for the other expenses billed directly such as internet connection fees, phone calls, etc. If these expenses are to be claimed by the traveler, the original receipt from the lodging establishment must be submitted.

  • If you order a package deal through a third party online vendor you will need to get individual quotes for each expense from the same vendor. If the package deal is for more than one person the quote must be for one person.

    Example: The package deal from Orbitz includes lodging and airfare for 3 people. Get a quote from Orbitz for airfare for one person for the business dates with the same airlines as the package deal. Get a separate quote from Orbitz for lodging for one person for the business dates from the same hotel as the package deal. If the comparison quotes are lower for a single flight or lodging expense we can only reimburse at the single rates.