Transition Programs

Freshman Pre-Arrival Information Header

First-Year Orientation Overview

First-year orientation is designed for students who recently graduated from high school or took a gap year and will begin their 4-year university experience at UNCW. All first-year students will complete a hybrid orientation experience. To learn about the guest orientation, visit our Families & Guests webpage.

Below you will find information about the orientation experience for first-year students.

Pre-Orientation Modules  

The first part of orientation for new students is the pre-orientation online modules. There are two sets of modules that must be completed.

To participate in pre-orientation course registration, you must complete the UNCW Resource modules by May 4, 2023. The final deadline to complete modules if not participating in pre-orientation course registration is 24 hours prior to your orientation session. 

Module 1: UNCW Resource Modules  

The UNCW Resource modules contain information about campus resources, academic requirements, behavioral expectations, campus policies, and engagement opportunities. Students can access the UNCW modules through the  orientation registration system immediately after the student orientation fee is paid. The UNCW modules will take approximately 2 hours to complete.  

Module 2: U Got This! Violence Prevention Modules  

U Got This! is an interactive, video-based program that engages students in conversations around sexual violence, dating violence, stalking, and harassment.  Students can access the U Got This! Violence Prevention modules on their orientation checklist within 5 business days after registering for orientation. Students who need to request an exemption from this program should contact The U Got This! modules will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. 

Course Registration  

First-year students will register for courses as part of their orientation process. Students who register for orientation by May 4, 2023 and complete the UNCW Resource modules will participate in pre-orientation course registration in May. Students who do not meet both of these deadlines must wait until their in-person orientation program to meet with an Advisor and register for courses. All students will be required to meet with an Academic Advisor during their in-person orientation program. 

Note: For pre-orientation course registration, your advisor will contact you if you meet these deadlines to inform you when you will register for courses. 

In-Person Orientation

First-year students will attend an in-person orientation program in June. The in-person program allows students to interact with their peers, understand campus expectations, learn about campus resources, take UNCW’s math placement test, meet with an Academic Advisor, and register for courses (if necessary).The schedule will be available to view on the first-year orientation website in late April.