Human Resources

Benefits: Health Care Flexible Spending Account

The Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA) is an NCFlex plan and is administered by P&A Group (866-916-3475).

HCFSA is a tax-savings plan. Employees can save federal, state, and FICA tax dollars by participating in Flexible Spending Accounts. Employees are reimbursed with pre-tax dollars that are set aside to pay for medical, dental, vision or other health care expenses not covered by insurance plans but eligible for a deduction on federal income tax returns including:

  • Deductibles
  • Co-pays
  • Co-insurance
  • Out-of-Network Expenses
  • Uncovered procedures

Eligibility: Permanent employees working 50% time or more per week are eligible to enroll.

Enrollment: Generally, enrollment is during the first 30 days of employment or within 30 days of a qualified family status change.

The Health Care Spending Account requires re-enrolling every year during annual enrollment in October (changes effective January).

Changing your NCFlex Election: You will not be able to cancel or change your election until the end of the plan year unless you have a qualified family status change. Changes without a qualified family status change are not allowed in NCFlex benefits during the plan year in accordance with Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Service code. If you wish to change your elections, you must notify your HR benefits counselor of any change in status within 30 days of the event. The changes you want to make to your benefits must be consistent with the change in your status.

Online Enrollment

Examples of qualified family status changes are:

  • birth or adoption of a child
  • marriage
  • divorce
  • spouse becomes employed/unemployed
  • you or your spouse change from part-time to full-time employment (or vice-versa)
  • you or your spouse take an unpaid leave of absence

More examples of qualified family status changes can be found in the NCFlex Enrollment booklet. Contact your HR benefits counselor at 910-962-3006 or 910-962-3345 for additional information.

Use It or Lose It Rule:

Any unused amount in either the Health or Dependent Care Spending accounts will be lost if it is not claimed. This is an IRS rule. Contact your HR benefits counselor at 910-962-3006 or 910-962-3345 for additional information or visit the NCFlex homepage.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is general in nature. Applicable laws and regulations are complex and subject to change. Information on this website cannot alter, modify, or otherwise change the controlling documents of any plan. For legal and tax advice employees should consult an attorney or tax adviser.