Abrons Student Health Center

Frequently Asked Questions


Is the Hundley Health Education Center where you go when you get in trouble with alcohol and other drugs on campus?

The Hundley Health Education Center serves as an educational tool and resource for those students who receive sanctions from the UNCW conduct system. Our CD (Challenging Decisions), BASICS, and BASICS-Cannabis classes are all possible judicial sanctions. Our classes are based on the latest research on reducing harm among college students who choose to drink or use other drugs.

Can I talk to someone at the Hundley Health Education Center about my drinking or other drug use?

At the Hundley Health Education Center we focus on prevention and education, we do not offer on-going counseling. However, we can provide information, connect you with campus and community resources, and talk with you about your concerns. To talk with the Direct Services Coordinator, please call 910-962-4135 to make an appointment.

I'm concerned about my friend. Could he or she have an alcohol or other drug problem?

If you are concerned about a friend you can certainly come into the Hundley Health Education Center and speak with the Direct Services Coordinator about your concerns. We have various information and resources that might help in approaching a friend you feel has a problem. Also, look at our How to Help a Friend page. To make an appointment please call 910-962-4135.

If I am looking for information on a particular drug, can I find it at the Hundley Health Education Center?

Certainly! Whether you are working on a paper, project, or just want to increase your own knowledge about a particular drug we are the one-stop office for you. We have numerous brochures, handouts, and website links which you might find useful and we are more than willing to assist in your search. To talk with one of our staff please call 910-962-4135. You can also find information and links on our Resources page.

How can I get involved at the Hundley Health Education Center?

In the spring semester we hire Peer Educators for the following year. We are always looking for energetic individuals who are interested in educating their peers on the issues of alcohol and other drug prevention and education. You can find more information here.

I'm a recovering student. What resources are available for me in Wilmington?

We can help students find treatment programs and assist with your recovery. You can find more information on our CRC Hawks page or call 910-962-4135 to schedule an appointment with the Direct Services Coordinator. There are also numerous AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), NA (Narcotics Anonymous) and Al-Anon meetings in the Wilmington community.



Student Recreation Center Suite 104