The Graduate School

Graduate Student Travel Allocations

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) and Graduate School provide allocations to fund travel opportunities not otherwise available to graduate students.

GSA Travel Grants

GSA travel grants are for graduate students that wish to attend professional conferences, workshops, or complete research for their thesis/final project.

Graduate School Travel Allocations


Effective immediately, The Graduate School is suspending the allocation of new awards. Funds are very limited and awards will be prorated to accommodate as many students as possible. 

New procedure as follows:

For Travel between 10/17/22 and 1/31/23: 

Please submit your applications by October 31, 2022.  We will review all requests and notify recipients by November 4, 2022.

For Travel after 1/31/23 and before 6/30/23:    

Please submit your applications by December 16, 2022.  We will notify recipients before December 20, 2022.

For Travel after 6/30/23:

Separate announcement to follow.

We understand that presentation acceptance letters may not be in hand by the new deadlines.  We are able to allocate funding with the understanding that no funds will be dispersed until the acceptance letter is received by the Graduate School.  Please continue to submit your abstract with your application by utilizing the online submission form here


Graduate School travel allocations are for graduate students that are planning to present at professional conferences.

These monies are designed to reward excellence in scholarship and increase the visibility of UNCW's graduate programs and research. Travel allocations support student presentations of original, creative research or projects at conferences. Funds are limited and guidelines are strictly enforced.

Terms of the Allocation

  • Students must be in good standing and making satisfactory progress toward completion of their degree.
  • Travel should be to professional conferences in which the program is of direct relevance to the student's academic/research area.
  • Applications will be reviewed for projects or papers that are being considered or have been accepted for presentation at a conference.
  • Even if a presentation is the result of a group project, normally only one student may receive a travel allocation for a single presentation.
  • To be eligible to receive the allocation, the student must submit proof of project or paper acceptance before traveling.
  • Full allocations do not exceed $1,000 per applicant. Matching funds from the academic unit are encouraged.
  • 3rd Party Lodging Exception – If you are considering staying in a facility other than a regular hotel or motel (i.e. time shares, campgrounds/conference centers, tourist homes, private residence), please complete this form PRIOR to your departure.  The form (along with additional documents) must be received at least 2 weeks in advance of your scheduled travel.
  • Proposals should be submitted as early as possible.
  • Travel awards issued are for the specific student named on the application and travel award letter.  They are not transferrable to any other student.

* A student is eligible for only one travel allocation per academic year.
** In the event of limited funds, preference will be given to applications from students beyond their first year of graduate study who did not receive travel allocations in the prior year.

Procedural Steps

  1. Complete the Application Form (Docusign) and obtain appropriate signatures.

2. Submit the completed application along with the following attachments:

  • the abstract of the presentation, and proof of acceptance of the presentation. (must be submitted as soon as you receive it and before traveling) 

Travel authorizations must be completed, signed and submitted to e-Travel prior to your travel. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the travel authorization is in e-Travel before the travel date! Failure to do so will result in no funding. The department is responsible for making all travel arrangements, including travel authorization and reimbursement forms. Once travel is complete, the student must complete a travel reimbursement form and submit it along with any receipts and a copy of the program page with the project title and name of presenter to their department. The department will verify the expenses, and submit the signed reimbursement form and all the receipts to e-Travel. Note that the university policy requires that all requests for reimbursement be submitted no later than ten days after travel is completed.