Frequently Asked Questions

Can I do community service at Crossroads?

Yes, we accept UNCW students who have to complete community service for the courts and we also take volunteers. Find more information about our Volunteer meetings or call 962-4136 to make an appointment to plan your community service.

Is Crossroads where you go when you get in trouble with alcohol and drugs on campus?

Crossroads serves as an educational tool and resource for those students who receive sanctions from the UNCW conduct system. Our CD (Challenging Decisions), BASICS, and BASICS-Marijuana classes are all possible judicial sanctions. Our classes are based on the latest research on reducing harm among college students who choose to drink.

Can I talk to someone at Crossroads about my drinking or drug use?

At Crossroads we focus on prevention and education, we do not offer on-going counseling. However, we can provide information, connect you with campus and community resources, and talk with you about your concerns. UNCW's Counseling Center is your campus resource for free substance abuse assessments and a variety of treatment services, if appropriate.

I'm concerned about my friend. Could he or she have an alcohol or drug problem?

If you are concerned about a friend you can certainly come into CROSSROADS and speak with one of our professional staff members about your concerns. We have various information and resources that might help in approaching a friend you feel has a problem. Also, look at our How to Help a Friend page.

If I am looking for information on a particular drug, can I find it at Crossroads?

Certainly! Whether you are working on a paper, project, or just want to increase your own knowledge about a particular drug we are the one-stop office for you. We have numerous brochures, handouts, and web-site links which you might find useful and we are more than willing to assist in your search. You can find some information and links on our Resources page.

How can I get involved at Crossroads?

At the end of each semester we hire for our peer educator and college mentor positions for the following semester. We are always looking for energetic individuals who are interested in educating their peers on the issues of substance abuse prevention and education. Find more information on our Get Involved page. We strongly encourage students who are interested in a position to get involved with our volunteer group.

I'm a recovering student. What resources are available for me in Wilmington?

We can help students find treatment programs and assist with your recovery. You can find more information on our Seahawks in Recovery page or stop by our office in the Student Rec Center 104 to talk with us. There are also numerous AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), NA (Narcotics Anonymous) and Al-Anon meetings around Wilmington.

Can I find out statistics on student drinking and drug use at Crossroads?

Yes. Each year we survey a random sampling of UNCW students for our Substance Abuse Survey and our data is available to students here.