I Am CHHS: Makayla Maloney, Clinical Research

The professors within the clinical research program have been great. All of the teachers, advisors and staff within the CHHS have been extremely helpful. At times, college can be stressful, but CHHS has been sure to assist me when I need guidance or advice."

I Am CHHS

Makayla Maloney

Major/Year: Clinical Research

What were some things you enjoyed about your major? I enjoy learning about the clinical trial process and the idea of researching potentially life-saving medications/devices. I think that this field opens up many job opportunities and provides for a successful career path.

What has your CHHS experience been like? I have enjoyed my experience as a CHHS student. When applying to school at UNCW, I knew I wanted to study something within the healthcare field. I was encouraged to apply to the clinical research program by my academic advisor. The professors within the clinical research program have been great. All of the teachers, advisors and staff within the CHHS have been extremely helpful. At times, college can be stressful, but CHHS has been sure to assist me when I need guidance or advice.

Tell us about your internship experience. I am currently an intern in the Strategic Proposal Development department at Pharmaceutical Product Development (PPD). I work closely with several company specific databases, create organizational charts and proposal timelines. I spend the majority of my day working with, editing and reading proposals. I was presented this opportunity by closely monitoring the PPD job openings. Once I saw an internship position, I quickly applied, interviewed and fortunately was offered the position. I have enjoyed my internship. I am very thankful for the opportunity to work with and learn from a renown global CRO such as PPD. My knowledge about the clinical research field has grown abundantly by being professionally involved with PPD.

What are some of your favorite pastimes/hobbies? Outside of school, I enjoy going to the beach, traveling and spending time with friends and family.