School of Nursing Faculty Member Recognized in UNCW Magazine as Heir of Abram Bishop, Original Landowner of Trask Coliseum

School of Nursing faculty member and UNCW alumna, Lolita Bryant (’04, ’11M) was recognized in UNCW Magazine (Spring/Summer 2017) as one of the heirs of Abram Bishop.

Bishop once owned a parcel of land that consisted of 43 acres with frontage on NC 132, now College Road, and is the current site of Trask Coliseum. In the late 1950s, the Board of Trustees of UNCW (then known as Wilmington College) approached Bryant’s great-great grandfather and other nearby landowners to purchase land to accommodate the college’s growth.

“I am part of what was here before UNCW became what it is today,” said Lolita. “My family owned that land, and I am proud to say that. It could have been anywhere, but Trask sits where my dad used to play as a little boy.”

In the magazine article, Bryant reflects on the connections between the university and her family and how she hopes to give back to students through an established scholarship, thereby continuing her legacy. To read the full UNCW article, click here and go to pages 22-23.