CHHS Alumnus Awarded 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award at UNCW Homecoming Event

Chad Porter ’98, a motivational speaker and trainer who works with small businesses and Fortune 500 companies across the nation, was awarded the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award at UNCW’s Homecoming.

“To be honest, I’m not sure how deserving I am to receive this amazing award,” Porter said. “We have some incredible alumni at UNCW, and they are constantly giving back to our community and school. I see it as my responsibility to serve and give back to those who need help, and I am proud to do so however possible.”

Porter earned a Bachelor’s in Physical Education from UNCW and a Master’s in Physical Therapy from East Carolina University.

“I have the best job in the world,” he said. “I get to travel the country inspiring, motivating and training people from every walk of life. I’m so grateful for the journey and all that I have been through to get here, because the experiences have prepared me in different ways to be successful.”

His professional experience includes roles in real estate, Coastal Rehabilitation Hospital and as the founder of Porter Financial Group. Today, Porter is a member of the Zig Ziglar International Team, an elite group of highly skilled corporate trainers.

In his spare time, Porter serves on the Board of Directors for Access of Wilmington and as vice chairman of the board for the Miracle League. He recently spearheaded relief efforts for Hurricane Matthew victims.