Social Media at UNCW
Social Media Guidelines
- Download our PDF document to guide you through some suggested best practices for social media use at UNCW. A brief overview of some of the suggestions appear below.
Four Types of University-related Social Media Accounts
- Institutional accounts represent the official university social media communication venues. Such sites are created and managed by University Relations administrators. No additional administrators outside University Relations can be can be added without the (written) permission of the executive director for University Relations or his/her designee.
- University-recognized departmental/unit accounts represent official university units and have full-time university employees assigned to administer the account. University units associated with a recognized account are responsible for the content. It is the responsibility of the account administrator to oversee the content and dialogue.
- Student organization accounts represent student organizations that are affiliated with the university and/or choose to incorporate the university’s visual identity standards in their social media venue. They are required to fully comply with the university’s social media guidelines.
- Unaffiliated accounts represent groups of users with a common interest and identification with the university, such as incoming freshmen who may create a Facebook group to establish connections prior to attending UNCW.
Registering Your UNCW-related Account:
What are the benefits of having a UNCW-registered social media site?
- It will be listed on the UNCW Social Media Directory, which is aimed at driving users to your account.
- It will receive a legal disclaimer that states it is a UNCW-recognized account.
- It will be connected to UNCW’s main profiles on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- You will have access to university created and approved icons and social media designs that can be used and adapted for individual schools, colleges and programs.
Who should apply to register?
- Any UNCW college, department, group or program wanting to maintain a social media presence with a university affiliation.
- At least one UNCW employee must be registered as the account administrator for the purpose of identifying the accounts’ point person and to provide continuity. As a best-practices suggestion, UR recommends two staff members have access to the social media account(s).
- It is recommended that the UNCW employee who intends to serve as one of the account’s administrators complete and submit the online application.
How long does it take to become recognized by UNCW?
- 2-3 business days
Should existing social media accounts be registered with the university?
In order to be officially recognized by the university, an account must be registered. Please fill out the registration form and University Relations will contact you within two days.