Apply for Federal Aid
You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify for Federal Student Aid, including PLUS and Unsubsidized student loans.
- Filing the FAFSA on-line is fastest, at www.fafsa.gov.
- Complete the FAFSA as early as possible, or after taxes are completed for the previous year.
- Students do not have to wait to be admitted to file the FAFSA.
- Include UNCW's federal school code, 002984, so we have permission to access FAFSA information.
- Complete new FAFSA each year.
- March 1 is the priority deadline for filing the FAFSA. FAFSAs continue to be processed after this date and throughout the academic year; but students are encouraged to file early for the best chance to receive limited funding.
Apply for a Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign the FAFSA.
- For dependent students, both parent and student must sign the FAFSA.
- Request a separate PIN for student and parent.
It has come to our attention that Student Financial Aid Services is providing an application processing service on www.fafsa.com for a fee. Please take note that this is not the same as the US Department of Education's web site (http://www.fafsa.gov) which allows you to complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It was the intent of the 1992 Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act to allow students to apply for federal financial aid for free.
While we know this company and others offer these services, it is our experience that financial aid offices at colleges and universities (including UNCW) throughout the state provide these services at no charge.
Other Application Forms