Procedures for Student Groups
Before an employee can travel on Official Business for the University with a Student Group, they should have a travel authorization completed and approved for each trip. All student group travel that is paid entirely by the faculty/staff member should be processed in E-Travel under the Faculty/staff travel authorization. When a student group trip is handled this way there should be NO travel expenses reimbursed to the students. If students are going to be reimbursed for any expenses then we cannot handle the trip this way. In the travel authorization for the faculty/staff member there needs to be a note added in the notes section of E-Travel listing all the students going on the trip. The travel authorization should include the following information: date, destination, purpose, funds, and all expenses for the trip. Travel authorizations must be processed for all travelers, even if not requesting a travel prepayment or reimbursement.
All travel authorizations require the approval of the following people:
- Traveler's immediate supervisor
- Budget Authority for all funds being charged
- Grant Officer if a grant fund is being charged
- Chancellor/Vice Chancellor for all travel outside the US, including travel to Alaska and Hawaii
Prepaid expenses are an option available to University Employees. The following may be paid directly to the vendor in advance of the trip.
- Agency Airfare
- Contact Travel Agency from our approved list to select an airfare for the employee and the students.
- Once airfare is selected by the traveler enter the airfare information in E-Travel under prepaid Airfare, Agency. Only enter the faculty/staff's airfare here. Do not enter the Student tickets in E-Travel.
- Select the Travel Agency that you made the arrangements with.
- Obtain approval of the traveler and the budget authority in E-Travel.
- Once the approval process is completed, the Travel Office will notify the agency to purchase the ticket.
- In order to purchase the students' airfare for a student group trip you will need to send the Travel Office an email listing the students' names, dates of travel, reference the travel authorization number of the faculty/staff's travel, amount per ticket, fund, account code and approval from the budget authority of the fund being charged.
- Once the Travel Office has received the information we will give approval to the travel agency to purchase the tickets.
Please note if personal time is included with the travel you will need to get a quote from the travel agency showing the cost for the business dates only. This will need to be submitted to the Travel Office. If the ticket including the personal time is more than the business time the employee will have to pay the University the difference before the ticket is purchased.
- A check request for Prepaid Other Expense must be completed in E-Travel using the student group account code and routed for appropriate approvals.
- After everyone has approved the check request in E-Travel the prepaid registration check request should be printed and sent to the Travel Office along with 2 copies of the registration form.
Please note that meals included in the registration fee will be excluded from the traveler's reimbursement per diem, even if the traveler did not attend the meal function.
- Complete a Prepaid Other Expense Check Request in E-Travel using the student group lodging account code and route for appropriate approvals.
- Once everyone has approved the check request in E-Travel the prepaid lodging check request should be printed and sent to the Travel Office along with the invoice from the hotel.
Once the trip is over it is time to create the travel reimbursement. All expenses that the Student paid out of pocket (allowable travel expenses) should be included on the travel reimbursement in E-Travel.
- Update the departure/return dates and times that are listed in E-Travel.
- Enter all expenses that the traveler incurred during their trip.
- Create the reimbursement check request in E-Travel.
- Route the travel reimbursement check request in E-Travel for approval by the traveler and budget authority. If the funding is a grant, then approval of the grant officer is also required.
- Once the Travel Reimbursement Check request has been approved by everyone print the check request and send to the Travel Office along with all supporting documentation.
Expenses paid by someone else
If someone besides the traveler paid for the expenses then the traveler cannot get reimbursed for those expenses. These expenses will need to be reimbursed to the person who paid for the expenses after the trip takes place. To do this you will need to enter these expenses under the prepaid expense of the traveler. The prepaid other expense check request should be made payable to the person who paid for the expenses. After entering the expenses, route the prepaid check request and, once approved, print and send the check request with supporting documentation to the Travel Office.
Travel Reimbursement Deadline
Please keep in mind that the state requires all travel reimbursements to be submitted/received in the Travel Office within 30 calendar days from the return date.