Cornerstone - Interests
Cornerstone Learning Community
College is a time to forge lifelong friendships, discover new interests, and develop perspective on the ideas that shape our world. We invite you to participate in an exciting program that will help you do all of these things. Designed exclusively for first year students, UNCW's Cornerstone Learning Communities (CLC) motto is "Live to Learn...Learn to Live." If you participate in this program, you will live and take most of your classes in Cornerstone Hall with the same small group of students. You will have a lot in common with the other students in your learning community because the courses you take together will be linked. This means that the three faculty members teaching these courses work together to teach different perspectives on a common theme. This modern building has all the amenities for comfortable living, as well as state-of-the-art classrooms.
Each Cornerstone Learning Community is made up of three University Studies courses. University Studies courses are selected liberal arts courses that all students must complete in order to graduate. The First Year Seminar will help you to understand the material presented in the other two courses as well as provide you with support as you adjust to college and explore possible majors. Participating in a Cornerstone Learning Community offers you a number of benefits, including:
- Small classes that allow you to get to know your professors
- Field trips, movies and social events related to the courses
- Introduction to college-level study skills
- Completion of three University Studies requirements
- Learning outside the classroom to improve your understanding of the information
- Apply and be accepted to UNCW!
- Complete the CLC Supplemental Application.
- Contract with on-campus housing and pay the non-refundable $105 Housing fee. Housing contract and fee will be available beginning in January.
- Log on to Seaport to fill out Cornerstone room/roommate preference.