Camp Special Time
Camp Special Time is a respite program for military families who have children with special health care needs. The program is made possible through collaborative partnerships among military personnel from Camp Lejeune, UNCW faculty and students from the College of Health and Human Services (nursing, social work, and recreation therapy), Cape Fear Community College recreation therapy department, and registered nurse volunteers from New Hanover Regional Medical Center. The goals of Camp Special Time are to:
- Provide quality health care services for children with severe developmental disabilities or chronic illnesses who are the family members of active or retired military and civilian government employees.
- Facilitate a partnership in practice among nursing students, faculty, registered nurses, and other health and human service providers
- Provide respite for the parents of the children
- Strengthen UNCW’s regional involvement activities and community relations
- Strengthen ties between UNCW and NC community colleges
Benefits of Camp Special Time for Children and Marine Families
- Children are engaged in a one-one relationship with health care professional team members (team and children stay overnight at the Marine facility)
- Children participate in safe and fun recreational therapies and social support services.
- Parents have respite for one day with no cost to families.
- Parents have time to decompress, focus on marital relationship, and attend to their own needs.
Benefits for Nursing and Other Health Professional Students
- Students apply classroom learning to real-world problems of children with special needs.
- Students learn how to provide holistic care, incorporating the physical, mental, social, and recreational needs of children with special health care needs into a plan of care.
- Students gain increased awareness of the needs of military families.
- Students are engaged with faculty coaches and supervisors for the entire length of the program.
- Students learn to work in inter-professional teams in planning, implementing, and evaluating care for children with special needs.
Support for Camp Special Time
- UNCW School of Nursing
- UNC General Administration
- Camp Lejeune Military Base
Dr. Brenda Pavill, PhD, RN
Pediatric Nursing Course Coordinator