Requirements for Admission to the Psychology Major
Due to the academic rigor and popularity of its program, the Department of Psychology has established certain minimal qualifications for entrance into the program. These qualification are as follows:
- Completion of PSY 105 or equivalent with a grade of "C" (2.0) or better.
- Completion of a Biology course selected from BIO 105, BIO 140 (with laboratory BIO 140L), BIO 201 (or BIO 204 or BIO 110), BIO 202 (or BIO 206) or BIO 240.
- Completion of a Mathematics course selected from MAT 111, MAT 112, MAT 115, MAT 151, or a more advanced mathematics course.
- An average grade of C (2.0) or better is required in the three courses required for admission to the major (i.e., PSY 105 and the required Biology & Math courses).
- Students who have completed more than one psychology course must have an average of "C" (2.0) or better on all psychology courses attempted.
All students who are unable to declare Psychology as a Major but who wish to do so in the future are assigned to the General College Advising Center. If you have any questions about academic advising, please contact the General College Advising Center at (910) 962-3245.
In order to obtain a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology a student must have completed 124 semester hours of credit including basic studies, major requirements and unspecified electives. Graduation may be delayed if students change majors, fail to begin the required sequence of courses when they enter the major, or take less than sixteen hours per semester.