University Planning and Quality Council

Minutes

September 10, 1997 Meeting

Members present: Dr. James Leutze, Chair, Dr. Marvin Moss, Robert Walton, Ms. Pat Leonard, Dr. Michelle Howard-Vital, Kevin Jacques, Dr. Jo Ann Seiple, Dr. Howard Rockness, Dr. Katherine Bruce for Dr. Hadley, Dr. Virginia Adams, Dr. Terry Curran, Dr. Stephen Harper, Dr. Denis Carter, Dr. Richard Veit, Dr. Ned Martin and Zeke Pittard.

Others attending:
Dr. Paul Hosier, Dr. Melton McLaurin, Mark Lanier, Ms. Nikki Howard, Tim Jordan, Hal White, Bobby Miller, William Pate and Robert Fry.

The meeting was called to order at 3:05 PM and the minutes of the May 21, 1997, meeting were approved as distributed.

Special Reports on Non-Planning Items

Mr. Fry commented on a report showing differences between fall 1996 and fall 1997 enrollment. Improvements in retention and graduation rates were also noted. University-wide Strategic Issues

Report on Campus-Wide Objectives

Mr. Fry distributed a report on campus-wide objectives and reviewed a majority of the items. Discussion focused on areas where the university has fallen short of its goals. The Council will return to the objectives at its next meeting with the goal of setting some new objectives and targets for the next five year period. Members were encouraged to review this document with other members of the university community and to e-mail suggested changes to Mr. Fry by November 7th.

Campus Computing Needs

Dr. Moss opened a presentation by citing the financial support that has been given to meeting microcomputing needs on campus. Demand for centralized computing resources and access to the campus' fiber optic network is growing rapidly as more student, faculty and staff information is placed on the web. As a result of this move, more users are now on the network needing access to more data to do more of their daily operational activities in an increasingly crowed environment. Dr. Moss asked Mr. Bill Pate, Director of Management Information Support, to present information on current campus software needs and the directions planned for university community access to data through the web interfaces. To speed up the web access process, he proposed that the university purchase several software packages from SIS and HRS vendor, SCT. Mr. Bobby Miller followed and provided configuration and utilization information on the current campus network and VAX systems. Demand on these systems has increased significantly during the last few years and this 1990 level technology is not performing at an acceptable level. Many overnight SIS and FRS cycles are not completed on time and high user demand in recent days has resulted in unacceptable levels of system performance. He presented a proposal to replace two VAX systems with DEC ALPHA's and to upgrade the network controller unit as well as disk controller units. Then, to complete the picture, Dr. Hosier presented a proposal to upgrade micro-computers in the student and department labs and in faculty offices. Approximately $593,000 is needed to fund the proposed technology upgrades to both the central and micro computing resources. After discussion, the Council agreed to these recommendations, and the Chancellor directed Mr. Jordan to find the needed funding.

Update on GA Enrollment Projections due on October 15, 1997

Mr. Fry reported that credit hour projections for the next ten years are due at General Administration on October 15th. He will make these estimates and distribute them to the senior officers for review and comment.

Update on General Administration's Facilities Equity Study

Mr. Fry reported that he is currently serving on a UNC-wide task force that is studying the process for recommending capital construction projects to the legislature. The Task Force is currently looking at a state by state review of space standards. Attention is currently focused on the processes used in Virginia and the funding model used by Ohio. Reports on Task Force activities will be provided during the next several months.

New Issues for discussion at Future Meetings

Mr. Fry reviewed a list of proposed items for discussion at future meetings and asked members to contact him about other agenda items.

Time And Place For Next Meeting

The Council will meet on November 12, 1997, at 3 PM in Alderman 215.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:00 PM.

Return to Planning Minutes Homepage

Last Updated: November 20, 1998


UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  S. McFarland [ mcfarlands AT uncw DOT edu ]