UNCW Quick Guide to U.S. Passports
This UNCW Quick Guide to U.S. Passports is a brief summary of information concerning U. S. passports. If you do not find the information you need in the Quick Guide, please visit the government Web site at www.travel.state.gov for additional information or to obtain forms.
- First-Time Applicants
- Passport Renewals
- Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16
- Passport Photographs
- Passport Book Application Fees
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen.
- All applicants MUST appear in person.
- Both parents must appear for minors under the age of sixteen (16) and under. If one parent is unable to appear, a notarized letter of consent or other legal documents must be presented at the time of applying.
- Applicants age sixteen (16) and over must personally sign their passport application.
Documentation: Please submit the following documents that apply to you:
Proof of Citizenship
- A certified birth certificate from the contry or state in which you were born, birth certificate must have a raised, embossed or multi colored seal, and list both parents. (Hospital certificates are not acceptable)
- A naturalization certificate or Report of Birth Abroad document
- A full validity U.S. Passport book or card (can be expired)
Proof of Identity
- A state or federally issued picture ID such as driver's license, ID card or military ID
- A state issued ID generally requires a second form of photo ID
- Parental ID is required for children under the age of sixteen (16).
DS-11 Form Options (Application for a U. S. Passport)
- DS-11 form (PDF)
Print the form on one-sided pages and complete by hand with black ink. DO NOT SIGN the application until you are requested to do so by the authorized agent at UNCW Passport Services. Bring unsigned form to UNCW Passport Services.
- Fillable Online DS-11.
Enter the information online. Then print the completed form using black ink on one-sided pages. DO NOT SIGN the application until you are requested to do so by the authorized agent at UNCW Passport Services. Bring unsigned form to UNCW Passport Services.
- Forms are also available at UNCW Passport Services.
UNCW Passport Services does not process passport renewal applications. For information concerning passport renewals, please visit the government Web site at www.travel.state.gov.
Please contact the Passport Processing Agent at (910) 962-2432 or visit the government Web site at www.travel.state.gov.
The passport applicant is required to submit, along with the passport application, two identical photographs which are sufficiently recent (normally not more than 6 months old) to be a good likeness of and satisfactorily identify the applicant.
Photographs must meet the following requirements:
- Photographs should be 2 x 2 inches in size. Measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair) should be no less than 1 inch and no more than 1-3/8 inches.
- Photographs must be in color.
- Photographs must be clear images and have a plain white or light-colored background.
Passport photographs can be taken at UNCW Passport Services. The cost for two identical passport photos is $10.00 plus tax.