Named in honor of Dr. Gerald Shinn a faculty member of the Philosphy and Religion Department.
The plaza is dedicated to Dr. Shinn's life-long efforts to expose students to the value of reflective thought.
Allan Garrison Libby presents poster at the annual Honors presentation day:
PAR Students attend NCPS conference in Boone, NC on February 25-27, 2011
Thomas Duncan, Keith Cormier, Kristen Wells, Joshua Hollamon, Crystal Groover, Mohamed Abdelrazig, Holly Craddock, Dr. Heath White, Dr. Scott James, Photographer
Dr. Heath White, Dr. Scott James and Kristen Wells, student - all presented at the conference.
North Carolina Religious Studies Association
Christina Haley - "Living with Lady Wisdom"
Jon Neale - "On the Reconciliation of Fatalism and Prayer"
Justin Snider - "Atheist? Infidel? Deist? Thomas Jefferson and the Bible"
Brooks Venters - "An Analysis of Recent Scientific Studies of the Psilocybin Experience Using Friedrich Nietzche's 'Eternal Recurrence'"
Scholarship Recipients for 2010-2011
- Matthew Zinn - The Sankey L. Blanton Scholarship
- Kristen Wells - The Carol Thysell Scholarship
- Garrison Libby - The James Megivern Scholarship
- Joshua Hollamon - Bookstore Award
Jamie Brummitt and Brandon Tinklenberg , whose work was accepted for presentation at the Colonial Academic Alliance Undergraduate Research Conference to be held at Towson University April 3-5.
Honors Undergraduate Research and Scholarship to the Board of Trustees of University of North Carolina Wilmington, February 19, 2009
Student Scholar Presenter - Jamie Brummitt
Title of Research presentation: The Development of Satan through
the Jewish Apocalyptic Afterlife
Scholarship Recipients for 2009-2010
- Jamie Brummitt - The Sankey L. Blanton Scholarship
- Kristen Wells - The Carol Thysell Scholarship
- Stephen Sonnenberg - The James Megivern Scholaraship
- Brandon Tinklenberg - Bookstore Award
- Garrison Libbey - Bookstore Award
ALUMNI & STUDENT AWARDS- Summer/Fall 2008
- PAR Alumnus Rev. Ray Allen Buchanan, 1972. Rev. Buchanan was chosen as the 2008 Citizen of the World Award Recipient given by the International Affairs Council (IAC) (www.iacnc.org). The IAC has given the Citizen of the World Award annually since 1995 to honor the North Carolinian who has done the most for the internationalization of the state. Rev. Buchanan is the co-founder and president of Stop Hunger Now, a model for providing rapid, cost-effective responses to international crisis situations (http://www.stophungernow.org/).
- PAR Alumnus Keith Diener, 2003 had his essay, "The Recovery of Attorneys' Fees under CISG Article 74: A Critique of the Case Law and Commentary with an Interpretation of Article 74" selected this past summer as winner of the Clive M. Schmitthoff award for 2007. The prize includes publication and a $5000 check. Among the judges’ comments: “The degree of reflective (as opposed to descriptive) analysis of relevant material and sources (doctrine and jurisprudence) is of very high order.”
- PAR Student Ryan Neale had his essay “Nestorius the Orthodox: A Second Look at a Denounced Heretic” selected as first prize winner among student papers presented at the North Carolina Religious Studies Association (NCRSA) at the annual conference, this year held at Western Carolina University, October 25. Ryan was advised on his paper by Dr. George Zervos and Dr. Sam Murrell.
Scholarship Recipients for 2008
- Yuri Buechler - The Sankey L. Blanton Scholarship
- Jamie Brummitt - The Carol Thysell Scholarship
- Anna Bijelic - The James Megivern Scholaraship
- Jonathon Neale - Bookstore Award
- Laura Dawn Frank - Bookstore Award
CONGRATULATIONS TO MARY VON AUE
Mary's honors thesis has been selected to represent UNCW in the annual Portz Scholars competition offered by the National Collegiate Honor Council. - This is a first for the PAR department.
Spring 08 Honors Thesis
Mary von Aue successfully defended her Departmental Honors' thesis in April, 2008 entitled "From Ascetic to Ecstatic: The Reflection of Rabi'a in the Development of Sufism".
Mary also presented a poster on her thesis at the CSURF event in April.
Dr. Pasulka, Dr. berg, Mary, Dr. Herb Berg and Mary von Aue
Dr. Burgh, Dr. Zervos at the CSURF event
Mary von Aue presenting her thesis at CSURF
Scholarship and Awards for Spring 08
Jamie Brummit won a CSURF travel grant this summer and a UNCW Student Research Award. She is doing a DIS PAR 499 on the concept of Satan in early Christianity with Dr. Pasulka.
Dr. Pasulka presents the CSURF Student Research Award to Jamie
Jamie Brummitt, student and Diana Pasulka, Professor traveled to Pennsylvania to do Research - They went to Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center in Wynnewood, PA. Below is a picture of Jamie with some of the archives stored in the center.
December 07 Honors' Thesis
Meredith Bailey Bumbarger successfully defended her Departmental Honors' thesis in December 2007 entitled "The Book of Tobit: A Comparative Analysis of Intentional Comedy from a Modern Reader's Perspective." The picture shows her being congratulated by her advisor Dr. Murrell.
Scholarship Recipients for 2007
John T. Wilson Scholar - Grant Breuer
Joshua Bolick and Mary Lynn von Aue
- Joshua Bolick - The Sankey L. Blanton Scholarship
- Mary Lynn von Aue - The James Joseph Megivern Scholarship
- Grant Breuer - John T. Wilson Scholarship
CHANCELLOR’S ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS (Spring of 2007)
- Joshua Adam Bolick - Ryan Vincent Conti
OUTSTANDING MINORITY SCHOLAR
2007-2008 - Gisette Rodriguez presentation by Dr. Ferenc Altrichter
2006-2007 - Everett Caldwell presentation by Dr. Theodore Burgh
CHANCELLOR’S ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS (Fall 2006)
- Josh Bolick
- John Ponton
STUDENT SCHOLARS 2006-2007
Everett Caldwell (DIS “Development of Docetism/Gnosticism” with Dr. Zervos),
Ian Sheffer (HON DIS “Ethical and Legal Arguments re: Assisted Suicide” with Dr. Gauthier)
- Sarah Rollens (“Jesus as an Apocalyptic Prophet” prize winner at NCRSA conference Oct 6
- Chris Moreland (“Emperor Constantine’s Conversion to Christianity” prize winner at NCRSA conference Oct 6).