Emphasis in Religion
Religious studies examines the religious traditions of the world. It explores literary texts, ritual experiences, and historical traditions seeking to understand the varieties of religious experience and the values and ultimate concerns that shape human life.
Requirements for B.A. Degree with a Major in Philosophy & Religion with an emphasis in Religion: 36 hours.
- PAR 101: Invitation to Philosophical Thinking
- PAR 103: Introduction to Religion
- PAR 110: Introduction to Logic
- PAR 125: Great Books of the World's Religions
- PAR 230: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- PAR 232: Asian Religions
- PAR 400: Colloquium for Majors
- and 15 additional hours at the 300-400 level, 9 of which must be in religion.
An overall grade point average of "C" (2.00) or better is required in courses counted toward the major. In accordance with UNCW residency requirement, at least 15 hours at the 300-400 level must be taken at UNCW.
Computer Competency Requirement: To satisfy the computer competency requirement for the B.A. degree in philosophy and religion a student must successfully complete PAR 400.
Oral Communication Competency Requirement: To satisfy the oral communication competency requirement for the B.A. degree in philosophy and religion a student must successfully complete PAR 400.
Applied Learning Requirement: To satisfy the applied learning requirement for the B.A. degree in philosophy and religion a student must turn in to the department chair, before graduation, an independent research project completed in PAR 400, 491, 495 or 499.