Bachelor of Science: Public Health Studies
Public health professionals work with communities and individuals to protect, maintain and enhance health and quality of life. All students complete the public health core courses, which provide a strong foundation in the U.S. Public Health System, factors impacting human health and disease, population-based and individual approaches to health enhancement, public health data sources, health policy, health law, health communication and much more. Students must then select one of three concentrations: 1) Community Health Education - prepares students to assess, plan, implement and evaluate programs that are designed to enhance individual and community health and well-being; 2) Pre-Clinical Health - prepares students with a strong science background for continuing study in medicine, dentistry, physical assistanting, nutrition, nursing, etc.; and 3) Global Health - prepares students for careers working in developing low and middle income countries to improve health and quality of life. Public Health Education Specialists work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, non-profit organizations, government agencies, doctors' offices, business & industry and colleges/universities. Upon graduation, Public Health Education Specialists are eligible to take a national exam to become Certified Health Education Specialists.
- Public Health Major: Degree Requirements (PDF)
- Recommended Sequence of Courses (PDF)
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Health Education Minor: Degree Requirements
- NC DPT Information (PDF)
- NC OT Information (PDF)
- National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- World Health Organization Health Promotion
- American Public Health Association
- North Carolina Public Health Association (NCPHA)
- Society of Public Health Education - SOPHE
- North Carolina Society for Public Health Education (NCSOPHE)
- NC Tobacco-Free Colleges
- Student Health Association
- Visit our Health Matters Facebook page and "friend" us!
- ASPPH: Discover What is Public Health
Student Resource Videos:
- UNCW Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid
- UNCW Scholarship Application - Over 50 scholarships available
- Additional Scholarship Opportunities