Watson Chronicle

WATSON COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Our College Community

WCE Hosts Reception for Ann Potts

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Faculty and staff gathered in the Ed Lab for a reception to honor Ann Potts on May 2. Potts has served as associate dean of the Office of Teacher Education and Outreach at the Watson College since 2012. On July 1, she will become a professor in the Department of EEMLS before beginning a Fulbright Scholarship assignment in Malawi in the spring of 2018.

“I would like to thank Ann for the continuity, work, time, energy and compassion she has brought to the Office of Teacher Education and Outreach,” said Watson College Dean Van Dempsey. “I have enjoyed engaging with Ann, who has expertise in professional development schools, school/university partnerships and teacher education; areas where I have had most of my career experience. I appreciate that Ann has always been very gracious when I mettle.”

Carol McNulty, associate dean of the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, described Ann as “her partner in crime” and “best travel buddy” to destinations that have included Kuwait and Belize. She said their close partnership over five years as WCE’s two associate deans called to mind many duos in American culture including Cagney and Lacey, for their DPI investigative work; Thelma and Louise, for joint efforts to address challenges; and a toss-up between Laverne and Shirley and Lucy and Ethel for the fun times they’ve shared.

“This is an amazing position and I’m especially grateful I’ve had the opportunity to grow international experiences for students as part of our outreach efforts,” Potts said. Citing the late American educational philosopher Maxine Greene, she concluded by saying, “It has been a great five years, but it’s now time for me to make spaces for others.”