Watson Chronicle

WATSON COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Our College Community

WCE Hosts Retirement Celebration for Glenda Bowen

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Glenda Bowen retired from UNCW in March after an extraordinary career that spanned 32 years. WCE’s Office of Teacher Education and Outreach hosted a reception in her honor on March 21.

Associate Dean Ann Potts presented Bowen with a bicycle, thanked her for her dedication and service to the faculty, staff and students at the Watson College and shared a note that Bowen had written to Dean Dempsey prior to her retirement.

‘”I have worked under the leadership of six chancellors, seven deans, and served as the assistant to more than 14 administrators,” Bowen wrote. “The one role that I’ve always held close to my heart was the opportunity I had to serve a countless number of students at UNCW and in the Watson College. I never took for granted the opportunity that allowed me to serve the students as an advisor, encourager, comforter and supporter.”

Emeritus faculty member Carol Chase Thomas said she and Bowen both began work at the Watson College in 1983. She described Bowen as a woman of strong faith, whose smile and hugs lift the spirits of all around her. “Every organization has a person who comprises the heart and soul of the organization, and I am standing next to ours,” Chase Thomas said.

Brad Walker, Brian Brinkley and Dean Dempsey also spoke at the event.

More than 150 colleagues, friends and family members attended the reception in Bowen’s honor, including Bowen’s husband, children, grandchildren, cousin, pastor and close personal friends.

Candace Blanke and Potts coordinated the event. 

For more information about Bowen’s extraordinary career at UNCW, read more here:

We Are UNCW Profile, March 2015: www.uncw.edu/profiles/bowenglenda.html

Watson Chronicle Story, January 2015 http://uncw.edu/newsletters/watson-chronicle/2015/01/glenda-bowen-celebrates-30-years-at-wce.html