The Coastal and Ocean Policy listserve provides announcements about upcoming events and employment opportunities
Oral History of the NC Fisheries Reform Act of 1997
In commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the NC Fisheries reform Act of 1997, several scientists and commercial fishing representatives joined together to provide an oral history of the act including, its passage and locals' experiences.
The research team conducted 13 oral history interviews, created 3 podcasts, and developed a discussion guide suitable for use in classrooms and public forums.
During the Spring 2017 term, the MCOP capstone class participated in the researchers' introduction of their podcast to elicit feedback and students had the opportunity to discuss the material with project leads.
You can find more information on the project and the full podcast at Raising the Story.com.
Coastal and Ocean Policy is a growing area of interest for policymakers, scientists, media, and the public.
Below are links to relevant reports and other materials.
- Recommendations of the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force, White House Council on Environmental Quality, Executive office of the President
- The Ocean Studies Board, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
- US Coast Guard, Living Marine Resources, Ocean Guardian
Some relevant organizations and jobs pages
Below are links to some organizations of interest for jobs, resources and activities.
- American Fisheries Society
- N.C. Office of Environmental Education and Public Affairs
- N.C. Office of State Human Resources
- Peace Corps
- The Nature Conservancy
- The Student Conservation Association
- USA Jobs
- National Ocean Council
- NOAA Coastal Management Fellowships
- NOAA Seagrant
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Coastal Management
- US EPA: Oceans, Coasts, Estuaries & Beaches