Underwater Ichthyologist: Ages 14 - 17
Must have completed 8th grade and be 14 by June 1st. Must not turn 18 before July 31st.
Prerequisite: (1) Students must have an open water dive certification from a nationally recognized organization prior to starting this program. (2) Students must obtain Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance or equivalent diving coverage prior to program start date. (3) Ability to pass PADI swim test, including 10 minute float or tread in deep water and un-timed 200 meter/yard continuous surface swim.
Are you a SCUBA enthusiast who loves sharks? Do want to protect and preserve shark populations for future generations? Are you interested in fish biodiversity and abundance? If you are, MarineQuest's Underwater Ichthyologist program is perfect for you! Learn how to identify different fish species and how to efficiently count individuals while earning the Project AWARE Fish ID specialty through PADI. Deepen your understanding and knowledge of sharks by completing the AWARE Shark Conservation specialty and finishing a service learning project. Add dives to your dive log and strengthen your diving technique while learning about the organisms that inhabit North Carolina's local waters.
Field excursions include:
- Dive beautiful shipwrecks (weather dependent) including Stone Tug, Old Dredge, the Markham, and the infamous Hyde Dredge; NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher; UNCW Center for Marine Science; Wrightsville Beach, and Kure Beach.
- Enjoy six dives with an amazing 1:4 student to dive maters / instructor ratio providing personal attention and training tips; interact with professional dive instructors as they work with you to improve your buoyancy skills earn 2 PADI specialties (1. Project AWARE FISH ID and 2. Shark Conservation); complete fish surveys comparing different dive site biodiversity and fish abundance (weather/condition permitting); fish anatomy and physiology experiments; discussions on local marine life and local invasive species (Lion Fish).
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday - Friday|
|Friday pick up/final presentation at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Student Ratio:
|Summer 2017 Dates:||
Session 1: June 18-23 *Filling fast!
Session 2: July 16-21 *Full
* Students will be responsible for bringing mask, snorkel and fins (may be purchased at program for a discounted rate through local dive shop)
You must register by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest